what would you do?
Fair enough. I don't think that the Novus Ordo being valid makes it better. In fact, I think its validity makes it much worse. But that's a discussion for a different thread.

I hope you're able to have a prayerful Christmas! I know the difficulties associated with traveling and finding a suitable Mass.
Thanks :) I might have to go and offer up my difficulties there. I see the point about inconveniencing family as being selfish. I think if I lived here I'd try to get a car so I could go to the TLM. The way I've been thinking is that my preference is still the TLM and I'm only going to the NO if I can't so its not like I prefer it over the TLM. My parish is just pretty casual - not the really conservative ewtn sort of NO. Its not extreme though compared to other parishes, its like many others. I still cover my head and everything lol :) I made this thread though just to see what peoples opinions are. I prayed and it seems to me like it matters if I'm going here by necessity or choosing it over a more reverent Mass.
Sometimes God in order to lead us to a greater holiness allows us to be in situations where we cannot go to the mass that we would prefer. I think that if you went to the Novus Ordo mass in these situations that you would be growing in holiness. Even bishop Wiliamson, who is against a reconciliation with the Vatican has said that it is ok to go to the Novus Ordo.
If there was an SSPX chapel I'd go in a heart-beat. Normally, I go to our FSSP  church, but I used to go to the SSPX.
I would go to the Novus Ordo mass, its slightly less schismatic (maybe).  :LOL:

I think that in times like these we should forget about which liturgy to go to and just focus on our families. Not to put family time before Mass but rather, when it really comes down to it, a matter of putting family over preference, if that makes any sense. While the TLM is much better, liturgically speaking, they are the same at heart. I think going to an Orthodox church instead of a NO church simply because the NO isn't "good enough" is sinful, or at least close. If the only church around was Orthodox then going there would fulfill your obligation, though I'm not sure if you would even be obligated to go at that point.

Hope I helped.  :)
I think we should focus on Jesus, who is really present in the Blessed Sacrament.
(12-22-2015, 10:39 PM)little_flower10 Wrote: Thanks :) I might have to go and offer up my difficulties there. I see the point about inconveniencing family as being selfish. I think if I lived here I'd try to get a car so I could go to the TLM. The way I've been thinking is that my preference is still the TLM and I'm only going to the NO if I can't so its not like I prefer it over the TLM. My parish is just pretty casual - not the really conservative ewtn sort of NO. Its not extreme though compared to other parishes, its like many others. I still cover my head and everything lol :) I made this thread though just to see what peoples opinions are. I prayed and it seems to me like it matters if I'm going here by necessity or choosing it over a more reverent Mass.

Ask the priest that offers your TLM for advice, if you can. I attended a NO Mass recently, it was my father's 4th anniversary Mass. I went and it gave me even more appreciation for the TLM.

In a situation like this I would lean toward obedience, Padre Pio was persecuted by Church authorities and demonstrated obedience. More recently Father Rodriguez in Texas was targeted and he practiced obedience. You should never go wrong in God's eye by being obedient. Go to a valid Mass that meets your obligation.
Little flower, were you raised Orthodox?  If so, what made you decide to become Catholic?

Are there any Eastern Catholic churches in your family's town?
(12-23-2015, 08:34 AM)CaptCrunch73 Wrote:
(12-22-2015, 10:39 PM)little_flower10 Wrote: Thanks :) I might have to go and offer up my difficulties there. I see the point about inconveniencing family as being selfish. I think if I lived here I'd try to get a car so I could go to the TLM. The way I've been thinking is that my preference is still the TLM and I'm only going to the NO if I can't so its not like I prefer it over the TLM. My parish is just pretty casual - not the really conservative ewtn sort of NO. Its not extreme though compared to other parishes, its like many others. I still cover my head and everything lol :) I made this thread though just to see what peoples opinions are. I prayed and it seems to me like it matters if I'm going here by necessity or choosing it over a more reverent Mass.

Ask the priest that offers your TLM for advice, if you can. I attended a NO Mass recently, it was my father's 4th anniversary Mass. I went and it gave me even more appreciation for the TLM.

In a situation like this I would lean toward obedience, Padre Pio was persecuted by Church authorities and demonstrated obedience. More recently Father Rodriguez in Texas was targeted and he practiced obedience. You should never go wrong in God's eye by being obedient. Go to a valid Mass that meets your obligation.

That's what I'm thinking too :) my first choice is TLM and if I can't go there then I'd go where I'm still obedient to the Church. To me, going to an Orthodox church over NO, or going nowhere, isn't an act of obedience . My traditional priest seems to value obedience to the Church too
(12-23-2015, 10:14 AM)Melkite Wrote: Little flower, were you raised Orthodox?  If so, what made you decide to become Catholic?

Are there any Eastern Catholic churches in your family's town?

I was baptized Orthodox with my family in early teen years but we didn't really attend church. I later became Protestant and then God made it extremely clear I need to come back to the Sacraments. I went back to Orthodoxy but as I studied and explored I began being really drawn to Catholicism and believed the doctrines. There is an Eastern rite church here in town - but for some complicated reasons going there would cause my family more stress than other options. As far as I know there's no other Eastern rite - not mine, not Melkite/Syro Malabar etc. If there was I'd visit though.