European Jewish Hypothesis

(01-04-2016, 10:19 AM)Melkite Wrote:
(01-03-2016, 02:57 PM)DeoDuce Wrote: Did I say that? No I didn't so don't put words in my mouth. 

Not verbatim, but it's not an unreasonable assumption to make.  Most of the Arabs displaced by the Israelis are Muslim.  You specified Arab Christians.  Even though it's not how you meant it, it's not unreasonable to have read that as excusing the displacement of Muslim Arabs as either less wrong than that of Christian Arabs, or altogether acceptable.

Fair enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(12-30-2015, 05:12 AM)Optatus Cleary Wrote: I supose it's interesting: I had heard the "Khazar hypothesis" was debunked. It seems likely to me that the Khazars, being a large population of religious Jews, would have intermarried with Semitic Jews and contributed something to Jewish bloodlines.  Personally I suspect that It was a remnant of the Khazars that intermarried with other Jewish groups. The rest probably assimilated with local Christian or (especially) Muslim Turkish populations.

I have also heard the Khazar hypothesis linked to anti-Semitism. I don't really see why: whether someone has Semitic or Turkic blood (or a mix of the two) it wouldn't really justify any kind of hatred of that person.

There have been studies that have affirmed the Khazar thesis as well. I think the Khazar thesis is plausible. Khazaria was located where modern Russia is. I don't think it is a coincidence that many Jews were from Russia. Also, Russia Jews do not look Semitic.
(01-02-2016, 10:43 AM)PrairieMom Wrote: Why does it weaken the claim? I always assumed that the claim was based on religion, not genetic origin.

There's a definite genetic component. For Israel's "Law of Return" (the law that governs who can "return" or "make aliyah" to Israel, even if he's never been there before in his life), a Jew is defined, in part, as someone who has a Jewish mother. Sorta begs the question, but there it is. The ADL says this law isn't racist because -- well, just because. They say, "Israel’s Law of Return, which some critics of Israel accuse of being 'racist,' is for Jews a potent testimonial to the safe and free haven they will always have in the State of Israel after centuries of persecution and isolation."  In other words, it isn't racist because  -- um, well, um, because Jews like it. Nevermind that Christians would love to have Christian lands, of course. Now that would be racist!

Jews also cannot marry a non-Jew in Israel.