The Brad Pitt Rule
The Art of Manliness gives some good advice gentlemen...

Quote:The Art of Manliness wants to encourage men to stop hanging out and start dating. But negotiating the waters of dating can be tricky. Men often want to know if a girl is into to them or not. How can you know? Employ the Brad Pitt rule.

How the Brad Pitt Rule Works

Call up the woman you like and ask her on a date. Did she say yes? Great, she probably likes you. What if she makes up an excuse for why she can’t go out? This is the time to employ the Brad Pitt Rule.

Imagine that instead of you, Brad Pitt had asked this same woman out. Would she use the same excuse with him? If Brad Pitt asked her on a date, would she still say she had to study or was going to the movies with friends that night? Nope. She would have dropped pretty much anything and everything to be able to accept a date with Brad.

Now you’re not Pitt obviously. But if a woman is interested in you, she will drop her other plans to be available to go out with you.

Of course there are exceptions; the woman may have a legitimate reason she cannot make the date. Perhaps she has to work or go to a funeral. But, and here is the real clincher, she will suggest a different time for the date. She will say something along the lines of “I can’t do it Saturday night, do you want to hang out next weekend?”

If she makes up an excuse and she does not suggest an alternative plan, you have been shut out. She is not interested. Do not ask her out again. Doing so will only result in awkwardness and you feeling like a tool.

But don’t worry, she probably isn’t as cool as you thought she was since she doesn’t appreciate your charms. Start pursuing another lady who will.

If you're more of an A/V kind of guy, here's the video

Excellent advise! It should be one of the golden rules of Growing Up a Man 101  :P
Didn't Brad Pitt cheat on his wife, then divorce her and marry another woman, stay away from his rules.
One of his better roles:

Aha! This is the male version of the "He's Just Not That Into You" rule for girls:

Seriously, both sexes typically find it hard to turn someone down (or they should, anyway; shows regard for others' feelings). Guys promise to call, etc.; girls stall, coming up with excuses why they can't go out. But it all amounts to the same thing:  "The way I see it, you're not the one for me, and I'm not the one for you."

A question for the men out there:  I always see in movies these women who are extremely arrogant and, well, bitchy. They get asked out in a bar, and say things like "Get lost, creep," or "As if!" and all that. Does that really happen in real life? (I can't imagine being that way to a guy who is just politely expressing interest. And I've never seen that in real life. So does that actually go on -- or is it just a movie thing?)

(On the other hand, I've had to get physical with a few guys once. Oh, man.. Memories.. One time, this guy kept sitting next to me and making animal sounds in my ear. I laughed once, then gave him an "OK, that's cool, that's enough, I'm here with my friends" routine. He kept on. And on. And ON. No matter how often I asked him to just let me be. I finally stood up, grabbed him by the lapels, pulled him off his chair, and shoved him away from me. I think I freaked him OUT LOL Another time I was with my husband and, ironically, a Marion County Deputy at a bar. We were all dancing -- which lets you know very well I was buzzed LOL -- and having a good time. I had to run to the car for something. On the way back, this guy comes up behind me and GRABS me and said (I'm not kidding; he actually said these words, like out of some cheesy movie): "You know you want it." I spin, punch him hard in the face, and run like Hell LOL But aside from crap like that, I was always polite to men who expressed an interest, turning them down with a "thank you" or a "how flattering, but...". Am I weird? What IS it like for men trying to "pick up" women -- where "pick up" means "meet, trying to get to know, etc.")

(01-01-2016, 01:43 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: Aha! This is the male version of the "He's Just Not That Into You" rule for girls:

Seriously, both sexes typically find it hard to turn someone down (or they should, anyway; shows regard for others' feelings). Guys promise to call, etc.; girls stall, coming up with excuses why they can't go out. But it all amounts to the same thing:  "The way I see it, you're not the one for me, and I'm not the one for you."

A question for the men out there:  I always see in movies these women who are extremely arrogant and, well, bitchy. They get asked out in a bar, and say things like "Get lost, creep," or "As if!" and all that. Does that really happen in real life? (I can't imagine being that way to a guy who is just politely expressing interest. And I've never seen that in real life. So does that actually go on -- or is it just a movie thing?)

Yes, it does. I've encountered worse. I had one girl who was *supposed* to be a friend say "well, lets keep it as friends for now but that doesn't mean it can't change in the future." Seriously, don't give me some non-committal garbage. Just say "I'm flattered, but not interested." Don't string a guy along with some garbage false hope. I had another girl say she was "too busy for a guy" but they was in hot pursuit of a football player. If you are genuinely "too busy" that's fine, but don't lie. It just dings up your own character.

We need to start educating men that girls who pull that aren't worth scraps of toilet paper they use to wipe their rear ends.

(01-01-2016, 01:43 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: (On the other hand, I've had to get physical with a few guys once. Oh, man.. Memories.. One time, this guy kept sitting next to me and making animal sounds in my ear. I laughed once, then gave him an "OK, that's cool, that's enough, I'm here with my friends" routine. He kept on. And on. And ON. No matter how often I asked him to just let me be. I finally stood up, grabbed him by the lapels, pulled him off his chair, and shoved him away from me. I think I freaked him OUT LOL Another time I was with my husband and, ironically, a Marion County Deputy at a bar. We were all dancing -- which lets you know very well I was buzzed LOL -- and having a good time. I had to run to the car for something. On the way back, this guy comes up behind me and GRABS me and said (I'm not kidding; he actually said these words, like out of some cheesy movie): "You know you want it." I spin, punch him hard in the face, and run like Hell LOL But aside from crap like that, I was always polite to men who expressed an interest, turning them down with a "thank you" or a "how flattering, but...". Am I weird? What IS it like for men trying to "pick up" women -- where "pick up" means "meet, trying to get to know, etc.")

Well, I'm quite sorry you had to experience that. There's a lot of men out there who suffer from mental illness or were treated like dogs growing up so its no surprise they act like them as adults. You can't expect to train a man to be a killing machine then turn around and expect him to all gentlemanly when he's not killing. Maybe some guys can pull it off, but environments needed to mold a man as either a dog or a gentleman are starkly different.
(01-01-2016, 05:26 PM)divinesilence80 Wrote: Yes, it does. I've encountered worse. I had one girl who was *supposed* to be a friend say "well, lets keep it as friends for now but that doesn't mean it can't change in the future." Seriously, don't give me some non-committal garbage. Just say "I'm flattered, but not interested." Don't string a guy along with some garbage false hope. I had another girl say she was "too busy for a guy" but they was in hot pursuit of a football player. If you are genuinely "too busy" that's fine, but don't lie. It just dings up your own character.

We need to start educating men that girls who pull that aren't worth scraps of toilet paper they use to wipe their rear ends.

My hunch is that those two girls weren't trying to string you along at all, but were trying to let you down without hurting your feelings -- like the guys who say they'll call but don't. "The guy who doesn't call after he says he will" is a trope (and a reality) I hear women talking about (well, on TV and stuff; I don't really know any unmarried women very well) and kvetching about, but they just have to learn to take that as a sort of code for "he's just not that into you," just like guys have to go by "the Brad Pitt rule" (ha). It's hard for people to tell another that s/he's just not attracted to the other "in that way," ya know? So they try to let them down "easy" -- which might not actually be that easy on the other, but might be (?) easier than a flat-out no. Or at least easier to deal to another. The girl who waits by the phone because he said he'd call, or the guy who holds out hope for a chick who says, "maybe someday, but not now" aren't having a good time of it. But would they have an easier time if that other would've come out and said, "I'm just not into you"? And could a male or female say that without thinking or feeling that they're hurting the other or feeling like a mean person?

Quote:Well, I'm quite sorry you had to experience that. There's a lot of men out there who suffer from mental illness or were treated like dogs growing up so its no surprise they act like them as adults. You can't expect to train a man to be a killing machine then turn around and expect him to all gentlemanly when he's not killing. Maybe some guys can pull it off, but environments needed to mold a man as either a dog or a gentleman are starkly different.

Most men are gentlemen, I think.

--- Welllll, I think most men would take what's offered to them, if you know what I mean, but most men aren't jerks or cruel or nuts like that guy who grabbed in the parking lot. I've got a number of stories like that, but MOST guys -- well, I'll put it like this:  I think that if most guys would've seen that, they'd have run to my rescue. At least back in the 70s and 80s. I'm not so sure about that now, thanks to radical feminism.
(12-31-2015, 08:10 PM)salus Wrote: Didn't Brad Pitt cheat on his wife, then divorce her and marry another woman, stay away from his rules.
[Image: mr-t-facepalm-13613_w.jpg]
Ahh the old runaround.  One should definitely learn to recognize it early--it took me a couple experiences with it.

How about this one though: I had a friend in college who asked a girl out, she had some excuse to not meet on the date he proposed, and she suggested a different date--but the specific date she proposed was five months later (this was during the school year, she was not away, her calendar was just full). He passed  :LOL: