Top 10 Ridiculous Responses Regarding My Third Pregnancy
Whenever someone tells me they have a lot of kids, I usually just respond with "Beautiful" or "That's wonderful." I want to convey my support for large families (or really just having children in general) without sounding too patronizing...  :crazy:
I wish more people would respond with a comment like that. It helps reinforce (societally) that kids are a blessing. Plus I'm running out of sarcastic replies. :grin:
Just 20 minutes ago, a neighbor was walking her dog past our place and saw my wife's belly and half-jokingly yelled out, "You gotta be kidding me!"
(01-31-2016, 11:57 AM)aquinas138 Wrote: Just 20 minutes ago, a neighbor was walking her dog past our place and saw my wife's belly and half-jokingly yelled out, "You gotta be kidding me!"

First off, congratulations.

I would've been sorely tempted to sling something at him after that comment.

Is it only me, or does it seem like most of these types of comments/jokes come from guys?

You get the comments when they are spaced closely together too.....

This is all flabbergasting. The sad thing, however, is that if I had not grown up in a traditional Protestant community that advocated a type of quiver-full mentality and encouraged homeschooling but instead had grown up in an average novus ordo parish, I might have become one of those people who guffaws at a third child.

God love y'all for having to put up with such ignorance.
(01-31-2016, 12:10 PM)Sir Charles Napier Wrote:
(01-31-2016, 11:57 AM)aquinas138 Wrote: Just 20 minutes ago, a neighbor was walking her dog past our place and saw my wife's belly and half-jokingly yelled out, "You gotta be kidding me!"

Is it only me, or does it seem like most of these types of comments/jokes come from guys?

The neighbor is actually an elderly woman - that's a demographic that feels entitled to say whatever enters their heads!
(01-31-2016, 07:51 PM)aquinas138 Wrote:
(01-31-2016, 12:10 PM)Sir Charles Napier Wrote:

The neighbor is actually an elderly woman - that's a demographic that feels entitled to say whatever enters their heads!

My experience with my grandmother suggests that self-editing skills decline with age.
(01-05-2016, 07:26 PM)TheQueenMother Wrote: My husband and I have heard many of these ( we currently have six kids). My favorite response to the "Don't you know what causes that?" is to flash them a big smile with "Oh yeah we do. And we're good at it."  That leaves them speechless.

This would undoubtedly by one of my responses if I were in that situation. Hilarious!  I also like the idea of responding with a totally puzzled, desperate look and a "No! Do you?!? It keeps happening and I don't know why!"
(01-23-2016, 10:12 AM)Sir Charles Napier Wrote: [ #6, however, is particularly irritating.

I've only heard #6 once, and agree that it is irritating. I just laughed it off, but I was thinking that if I hear it again I may answer with something like  "Look here. We Catholics have owned the whole big family thing for around two-thousand years (-maybe this isn't technically true. Oh well). The Duggers........they're just wannabes." :wench: