Black Nazarene Festivities 2016
Now the image of the Black Nazarene slowly approaches!

[Image: 47750d03922010fd815d0dbe4d19113d.jpg]

[Image: 30f3f5d8d190a80ccdbc1f521e1e16ce.jpg]

[Image: 5a1491676d32625723432f4fb114c9e2.jpg]

Sent from my MY31 using Tapatalk

The Black Nazarene returns to the Basilica!

[Image: e701d03fbc0ebd0edaee6faea4af56e9.jpg]

[Image: 5773b55cdb1b9ad5358c3ae06296e54b.jpg]

And there ends our coverage of the Black Nazarene Feast 2016

Most screencaps are taken from the FB Group, AVE MARIA! INA NG DIYOS, INA NG PILIPINO (Ave Maria! Mother of God and the Mother of Filipinos)

Sent from my MY31 using Tapatalk

Truly amazing to see such public devotion! Thanks for sharing the pics.
(01-09-2016, 09:57 AM)Neopelagianus Wrote: Many years ago, the image of the Black Nazarene was shot by a bullet by one member of the Iglesia ni Cristo (lit. "Church of Christ", a sect founded in 1917 by Felix Y. Manalo). The mark persists to this very day.

The fate of the shooter is very gruesome. He died in a stampede.

We've got a few of the Iglesia wackjobs in my area too.  I'm not happy he was killed, but I can't say that he didn't have it coming either.

Thanks for sharing the feast with us.  Someday I'd like to see it in person!
A video of the Dungaw has been released:

What are the readings/propers at Mass and office for the feast?

Is it called in Latin Festum Nazareni Nigri?
(01-13-2016, 02:29 PM)randomtradguy Wrote: What are the readings/propers at Mass and office for the feast?

There is no proper Mass or Office for the Feast of the Black Nazarene. It is more proper to say that it is a devotional feast day, since the origin of the January 9 festivity is not linked to any liturgical reason, but because of an historical reason. The Archbishop of Manila, Basilio Santa Justa Sancho de Rufina ordered the translation of the image of the said Black Nazarene through a procession from the church of Saint Nicholas of Tolentine administered by the Recollect Augustinians (now no longer extant; a casualty of American carpet bombing during WWII) to the parish of Saint John the Baptist (the present church) in Quiapo.

The reason for the aforementioned translation of the image is because of the deep piety that the natives have expressed over this image, a replica of the original,  (now destroyed) image that was favored and endowed by the rich and the gentry of Manila with gold, the richest of fabric and even diamonds.
(01-14-2016, 08:20 AM)Neopelagianus Wrote:
(01-13-2016, 02:29 PM)randomtradguy Wrote: What are the readings/propers at Mass and office for the feast?

There is no proper Mass or Office for the Feast of the Black Nazarene. It is more proper to say that it is a devotional feast day, since the origin of the January 9 festivity is not linked to any liturgical reason, but because of an historical reason. The Archbishop of Manila, Basilio Santa Justa Sancho de Rufina ordered the translation of the image of the said Black Nazarene through a procession from the church of Saint Nicholas of Tolentine administered by the Recollect Augustinians (now no longer extant; a casualty of American carpet bombing during WWII) to the parish of Saint John the Baptist (the present church) in Quiapo.

The reason for the aforementioned translation of the image is because of the deep piety that the natives have expressed over this image, a replica of the original,  (now destroyed) image that was favored and endowed by the rich and the gentry of Manila with gold, the richest of fabric and even diamonds.

Oh ok
(01-12-2016, 06:58 PM)dcmaccabees Wrote:
(01-09-2016, 09:57 AM)Neopelagianus Wrote: Many years ago, the image of the Black Nazarene was shot by a bullet by one member of the Iglesia ni Cristo (lit. "Church of Christ", a sect founded in 1917 by Felix Y. Manalo). The mark persists to this very day.

The fate of the shooter is very gruesome. He died in a stampede.

We've got a few of the Iglesia wackjobs in my area too.  I'm not happy he was killed, but I can't say that he didn't have it coming either.

Thanks for sharing the feast with us.  Someday I'd like to see it in person!

Some of my own relatives are in that sect. They are very iconoclastic, along with other heresies that they've espoused.