Straight razor shavers?
I use a double edge safety razor. Funny, I was just about to buy the Col. Conk, but I went with the Rustic Shaving Soap after reading the reviews. Right now I use Old Taylor's Sandalwood cream and am perfectly happy with it. If you like that old school Bay Rum scent, I can recommend the Dominica Bay Rum aftershave. You can get it from Amazon for $40 or from the manufacturer's website for $15.
(03-27-2016, 11:53 PM)charlesh Wrote: I use a double edge safety razor. Funny, I was just about to buy the Col. Conk, but I went with the Rustic Shaving Soap after reading the reviews. Right now I use Old Taylor's Sandalwood cream and am perfectly happy with it. If you like that old school Bay Rum scent, I can recommend the Dominica Bay Rum aftershave. You can get it from Amazon for $40 or from the manufacturer's website for $15.

I'll try those two suggestions for my next soap/aftershave purchases.  Thanks!
This guy has some great strops, soaps, DE razor stuff, and services straight blades. Just a tip.

http://www.whippeddog.com/products/find/colonel-conk
Grew up in a Little Italy enclave and never once saw a straight razor. <--- This constitutes my big contribution to the thread.
I haven't shaved-shaved in years. Once a month or so, I use the electric clippers and I can't recall my last 'professional' hair cut.  :chainsaw:
(07-21-2016, 11:30 AM)Lateran15 Wrote: Grew up in a Little Italy enclave and never once saw a straight razor. <--- This constitutes my big contribution to the thread.
I haven't shaved-shaved in years. Once a month or so, I use the electric clippers and I can't recall my last 'professional' hair cut.  :chainsaw:

Pictures, please!!!  :grin:
(01-08-2016, 01:40 PM)J Michael Wrote: Hell no!!  Real men grow beards!!! :grin:

Yes! Beards are the best!!  :grandpa: <-- ya I'm a Grandpa

I have a razor for shaving my neck. Its an old one that uses the double-bladed cartridges. I usually get about 8-12 months of shaves before I have to change the cartridge. I shave in the shower and use the soap I shampoo with on my neck hair before shaving.

Much easier than all the ritual associated with straight razor shaving.

However, in earlier times, when I had to shave (Army regs etc.) I'd use Old Spice soap in a cup with a nice soap brush. I'd use the double edged blades when shaving. Shaving was something I had to do and never enjoyed it much, it was a time consuming effort and I was almost always in a rush to do other things, so expediency was an issue.
I had no idea men still used straight razors!  Wow!  That looks dangerous . . . 

Pilgrim is an electric razor kind of guy and always has been - for good reason.  When he was a little kid, he fell with a glass and it cut his lip and chin.  We are talking a lot of blood and a lot of stitches.  He still has a nice scar from that little accident.  It has also left him with an aversion to blades near his face.  He will not do it.  I remember we once went to a wedding - years ago.  In the packing, we forgot his razor but I had a couple of mine (hey a pink or purple blade will cut face hair as easily as leg hair - right?).  He had never used one though, so I shaved him.  Talk about absolute trust!  He was really, really nervous but let me give him a nice, clean shave.  Then he kicked me out of the bathroom and threw up.  :grin:  Poor man!  Back then, every trip we took, he'd forget something: one time it was shoes, another his belt, his razor . . .  you get the idea.  Since the razor incident, he hasn't been as forgetful!
(07-21-2016, 02:26 PM)Zedta Wrote: Much easier than all the ritual associated with straight razor shaving.

The ritual is half the fun of it! :grin:  Honestly, it's all relaxing to me; shower, soak the bowl and soap, strop the blade, lather, shave. And it smells great. Honing the blades every couple months is a way for me to focus on something quiet, and it becomes almost a challenge to get it uber sharp. Us the blades themselves can be almost like a work of art.

(07-21-2016, 08:27 PM)Fontevrault Wrote: I had no idea men still used straight razors!  Wow!  That looks dangerous . . . 

Can be, but like anything else, it just takes practice. Plus few things remind one of the fragility of life more than holding a sharpened piece of steel up to one's throat. Twisted sounding I'm sure, but it can be a sobering reminder to slow down.

The other nice thing is that once I drop money for the razors, they pay for themselves in no time. No more buying razors, cartridges, batteries, or canned foam. This also means there's much less waste going to landfills. The only shaving refuse I have is the plastic tub the soaps come in, which is recyclable.

Quote: I remember we once went to a wedding - years ago.  In the packing, we forgot his razor but I had a couple of mine (hey a pink or purple blade will cut face hair as easily as leg hair - right?).  He had never used one though, so I shaved him.

*sprays Coke on the phone* :LOL:

That's trust. Y'all make a great couple.
:grin:  I love the fact that I can make you spray coke on the phone!  That makes my day!!!

Yup.  It's trust alright.  I felt really badly about it too: I didn't mean to make him that nervous . . . 
Just got the Colonel Conk sampler #1 from whippeddog.com.  3 shave soaps for $13; not bad. It comes with Bay Rum, Almond, and Amber scented shave soaps. Bay Rum - already use it and love it. Amber- excellent. May become my new fave. Almond is good, but too sweet for my normal liking. That being said, my wife REALLY likes it, so I'll say good for attracting the ladies (if you're single, or to impress the missus if you're married  :grin:).

(07-21-2016, 09:08 PM)Fontevrault Wrote: :grin:  I love the fact that I can make you spray coke on the phone!  That makes my day!!!

Yup.  It's trust alright.  I felt really badly about it too: I didn't mean to make him that nervous . . . 

Pilgrim needs to be treated to a professional hot shave. Closer, smoother.