Archdiocese of Chicago wants to demolish the Shrine of Christ the King
"Shrine's Flock Seeks Demolition Delay, City Says It Can't Stop Archdiocese": http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20160108/...rchdiocese

Here is another source: http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/01/10/s...r-options/

When I read this I began to weep (and yes, it is difficult to make me cry!). Lord have mercy. :'(

I am not proud to be a parishioner in the Archdiocese of Chicago. Satan is truly at work here.

Please donate to help the Shrine! I wish I had millions of dollars to donate to the Shrine of Christ the King but one can only do so much. I have never been to the Shrine but please help! Do we really need another historic Catholic Church to be demolished or even sold for secular purposes?

Here is the website to the Shrine if you can help donate: http://www.institute-christ-king.org/chicago/
It's really sad and it looks like the funding isn't really picking up speed either. I saw this on Church Militant a couple days ago that the AD is looking to just close it down. I honestly don't know much about TLM in Chicago, it looks like St. John Cantius offers daily TLM. Hopefully ICKSP finds another home if it doesn't work out.
I wish I could say it would help, but with a man like Cupich running the archdiocese...I doubt any amount of money will save it.
(01-11-2016, 07:49 PM)austenbosten Wrote: I wish I could say it would help, but with a man like Cupich running the archdiocese...I doubt any amount of money will save it.

I have been wary of Archbishop Cupich since he was installed as Archbishop of Chicago. From the get go I think we could see he is no friend to Tradition; it would come as no surprise to me at all that he could care less about what happens to parish churches that are "historical" or offer the TLM...like most of the church hierarchy.
(01-11-2016, 07:32 PM)GangGreen Wrote: It's really sad and it looks like the funding isn't really picking up speed either. I saw this on Church Militant a couple days ago that the AD is looking to just close it down. I honestly don't know much about TLM in Chicago, it looks like St. John Cantius offers daily TLM. Hopefully ICKSP finds another home if it doesn't work out.
Looking to just close it down . . . by giving them permission to rebuild at the site and offering them as an alternative another existing church for their own at a different location?  As beautiful as the church is and was, we have to recognise the severe damage it's received, the lack of funds to fix it, and -- even if such funds were manifested -- the potential better good for the community that it could be used for by investing in another beautiful, extant, and closed church given from the archdiocese rather than rebuilding or building anew at the same spot.  It's not as simple as "the big bad archbishop wants to shut down the Latin Mass" despite some attempting to frame it as such.
As much as I don't like Abp. Cupich's viewpoints, I do have to agree with Steven and also what Msgr. Pope says here: http://www.ncregister.com/blog/msgr-pope...latin-mass

It is very sad that this is happening, but it is what it is.
(01-12-2016, 05:21 PM)richgr Wrote: As much as I don't like Abp. Cupich's viewpoints, I do have to agree with Steven and also what Msgr. Pope says here: http://www.ncregister.com/blog/msgr-pope...latin-mass

It is very sad that this is happening, but it is what it is.

The very big and grave picture is being missed by Monsignor and Steven.

It's not that His Excellency Cupich is some evil-greedy bishop ala proto-Protestant Revolt from days of yore...it's the fact that Cupich and many like him, including (sadly) the Holy Father, is of the world and seeks to conform the Church to the world, instead of the other.

The numbers of the Church have been dwindling because the laity has lost the Faith. I will agree that having the TLM being offered at every parish, will not undo the damage being caused every day with wicked religious, priests, and bishops who: encourage sinners to revel in their vomit; view the Church as an organization, where message and numbers matter; and simply would thricely deny our Lord, sell Him out for thirty pieces of silver, and then crucify him.

What Traditionalists realize is that the TLM will be one of the things that will revive the Church after Her decline and tribulation.
Not that I'm a fan of the Archbishop, but I'm not sure this is the archdiocese trying to shutter the Institute.

Fires do a great deal more damage to structures than they might appear to. From the pictures of may only look like a new roof and interior cleanup are needed, but there also could be irreparable structural damage.

I remember growing up there was a fire in our town that destroyed all but the 18th century facade of a building. The historical commission refused to let it be town down, and the site owner refused to rebuild on their terms, so it sat for months, until a thunderstorm caused it to collapse on someone.

It's possible that the archdiocese is gunning to destroy the shell, but it's also quite possible it is simply beyond fixing. Only a detailed engineering analysis could determine that, and apparently the one that was done suggested the building had to come down.
Then have an exact replica of the same building be built on that same site. My two cents.
I think that your criticism of the archdiocese is unfair. There was a fire. The building is severely damaged. The archdiocese is not putting the community out. They may relocate them to another location. If they throw a bomb and blow up the church, they don't stop saying mass. They move to another location.