8 Beautiful Churches that Have Been Converted to Secular Uses
A travesty.... Such destruction...

From ChurchPOP:

Quote:Christianity in Europe is dying, and has been for some time. Churches are empty, they can’t be maintained, and so more and more are being sold or abandoned. Some of them end up demolished, while others are simply converted to some secular use.

While some of these uses are mostly benign (e.g. bookstore) and look nice, is it safe to say there’s a crisis of faith when big beautiful churches are being turned into skate parks and nightclubs?

In no particular order, here are 8 examples of churches that have been converted to secular uses:

1) Church of Santa Barbara in Llanera, Spain: Skate Park

[Image: 15-1-768x514.jpg]

[Image: 1-5-683x1024.jpg]

And here’s a video about the artist who did the artwork, as well as some better views of the inside of the building:

2) Kelvinside Parish Church in Glasgow, Scotland: Event center, nightclub, bar, and restaurant

[Image: 18110607434_db697d3c52_k-678x1024.jpg]

[Image: 7-2-700x525.jpg]

[Image: 6-2.jpg]

3) St. Nicholas Church in Kyloe, England: A private home

[Image: 14-1.jpg]

[Image: 2-5.jpg]

[Image: 3-4.jpg]

4) Selexyz Dominicanen in Maastricht, Netherlands: Bookstore

[Image: 13-1.jpg]

[Image: 5679870318_8dd5a25abe_b-700x721.jpg]

[Image: 2152405246_12e7ff129d_o.jpg]

5) Broerenkerk church in Zwolle, Netherlands: Bookstore

[Image: 4-2.jpg]

[Image: 5-2.jpg]

6) Old military chapel in Antwerp, Belgium: Restaurant

[Image: 12-1.jpg]

[Image: 8-1-700x502.jpg]

[Image: 9-1-700x556.jpg]

7) Gothic chapel in Kingston, England: Fishing lodge

[Image: 2295293101_98677d2e21_o-1.jpg]

8) St. John the Baptist in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania: Brewpub

[Image: 11.jpg]

[Image: 10-1.jpg]

[Image: 16-1.jpg]

Such loss...and not just in post-Christian Europe, either.

In my eyes, this is just a kinder gentler version of what the Soviets did

Unreal. That made my colon cringe. And honestly brought a tear to my eye. I have to admit, it's hard to keep hope for the future when I see stuff like this. I truly wish and pray for people to return to Holy Mother Church. :pray:
I should not have seen this...it fills me with rage.  :realmad:

I want to smack the next bishop who continues to smile like some stupid jackass...there's nothing to smile about with parishes being desecrated like this!
These churches should have been demolished or bulldozed.

To me, converting a sacred space into a secular building-especially establishments that glorify hedonism and materialism-is a huge middle finger to all our Catholic "ancestors" who labored to pool money/resources to build those churches. Think of the great Catholic faith that these anonymous parishioners had to build such great churches-of all sizes.

I think out of that list, numbers 3 and 8 are the saddest to me. St. John the Baptist in Pittsburgh looks like it was originally a beautiful church-like some of the great medieval churches of Europe. Number 3 looks like it was once a beautiful "country" parish. Maybe #3 just gets me due to my English Catholic heritage; leave it to the Anglicans to have destroyed English Catholicism, leave it to the Catholic Church overall to have allowed secularism creep in, and demographic shifts.
.... but you gotta admit, #1 (the skate park) is really cool....
Am I allowed to die yet? That was just painful.
(01-13-2016, 08:52 PM)PrairieMom Wrote: .... but you gotta admit, #1 (the skate park) is really cool....

The cieling looks kind of scary to me.
Of all of these, the 'private home' is hands down the worst. Ugh....no words. That photo alone is an entire negative lesson in aesthetics. The bookstores are the most tolerable in my eyes, also probably the ones that still offer hope of returning to being churches again. The restaurants, LoLz, kind of funny when think about the whole Protestant 'banquet' thing....  :eyeroll:
Here's another that is in the works, Holy Trinity Church in the South End of Boston. Both the FSSP and ICKSP made requests to take this over but the Archdiocese said no.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2015...story.html
(01-14-2016, 08:08 AM)CaptCrunch73 Wrote: Here's another that is in the works, Holy Trinity Church in the South End of Boston. Both the FSSP and ICKSP made requests to take this over but the Archdiocese said no.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2015...story.html

Very sad. At least the altar and baptismal font were removed.

Still makes my colon cringe though.