Why have some post-Vatican II Popes called for a new world order?
"Finally, We look to all men of good will, reminding them that civil progress and economic development are the only road to peace. Delegates to international organizations, public officials, gentlemen of the press, teachers and educators—all of you must realize that you have your part to play in the construction of a new world order."

- Pope Paul VI
Populorum Progressio
March 26, 1967

"Mahatma Gandhi taught that if all men and women, whatever the differences between them, cling to the truth, with respect for the unique dignity of every human being, a new world order – a civilization of love – can be achieved."

- Pope Saint John Paul II
Visit to the funerary monument of Raj Ghat dedicated to Mahatma Gandhi, in Delhi
February 1, 1986

"Men and women of today, humanity come of age yet often still so frail in mind and will, let the Child of Bethlehem take you by the hand! Do not fear; put your trust in him! The life-giving power of his light is an incentive for building a new world order based on just ethical and economic relationships."

- Pope Benedict XVI, Urbi et Orbi message
Christmas Day, 2005

I understand that it's being presented in a very positive light, but isn't the construction of a new world order meant to usher in a one world governing body?

Does this strike anyone else as unusual?
The current world order is pretty bad if you look around. The concept of a new world order is neutral--you can have a bad new world order or a good new world order.  It depends on how things are ordered.  If the new order is ordered according to truth, justice, and charity, then it will be a good one.  I think the Popes are calling for us to work toward such a good one.

The same can be said about international government.  There's nothing per se wrong with a "one world government" provided it governed according to truth and justice, and the principle of subsidiarity, in order to promote the true common good. I believe this was seen in some eras as the ideal (one God and therefore one Pope and one Emperor). A one world government could also be bad, but it would be bad because it violates the principles above, not simply because it is an international government.
Of course if you want to go all in on conspiracy you can say
[Image: xcm4h.jpg]
(01-14-2016, 11:22 AM)GangGreen Wrote: Of course if you want to go all in on conspiracy you can say
[Image: xcm4h.jpg]

You beat me to posting something about masons. :grin:

I considered the call for a NWO from the popes to be a call to loveour neighbors and return to God's laws, as opposed to man's flawed ways.
Idk. Why do V-II popes kiss the Quran, or make terrible off the cuff remarks, or allow global warming light shows on the basilica?

But in all honestly just calling for a New Order doesn't really mean anything negative. It's a pretty ambiguous call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's not to say that there isn't a Masonic infiltration of the Church. I do think there is one, in high places too. Whether the prior Popes were part of that, I think I'm more dubious.  It is alarming also that our current pope seems to have the support of the Masons.  In 1999 Francis was made an honorary member of the Masonic Rotary Club. In March 2013, in Italy the Grand Master expressed support for Francis. It certainly smells off.
(01-14-2016, 11:53 AM)GangGreen Wrote: That's not to say that there isn't a Masonic infiltration of the Church. I do think there is one, in high places too. Whether the prior Popes were part of that, I think I'm more dubious.  It is alarming also that our current pope seems to have the support of the Masons.  In 1999 Francis was made an honorary member of the Masonic Rotary Club. In March 2013, in Italy the Grand Master expressed support for Francis. It certainly smells off.

And I always thought membership in Masonic groups was forbidden to Catholics  ??? ???.  Maybe he gets away with it because it's "only" honorary.  Seems to me, especially for a Catholic and even more especially for a Catholic cleric who is now pope, to be a distinction without much of a difference.

Were there any pre-Vatican II pontiffs who called for a new world order, specifically using that terminology? 
I don't think Rotary has the same issues that Freemasonry does that would forbid a Catholic from being a member, honorary or otherwise.  Granted I'm no expert, but just looking at their publicly stated principles and initiation, there doesn't seem to be anything objectionable.
(01-14-2016, 12:00 PM)J Michael Wrote: Were there any pre-Vatican II pontiffs who called for a new world order, specifically using that terminology?

While I was gathering the references for those quotes I mentioned, one website mentioned Pope Pius XII with the post-Vatican II Popes, but in Pope Pius XII's case, he didn't specifically say "new world order," instead mentioning something along the lines of a supra-national mission.

Maybe I've just been around too much conspiracy theory stuff around the term, but it just seems odd to me that a Pope would use the term "new world order."
(01-14-2016, 12:06 PM)SaintSebastian Wrote: I don't think Rotary has the same issues that Freemasonry does that would forbid a Catholic from being a member, honorary or otherwise.  Granted I'm no expert, but just looking at their publicly stated principles and initiation, there doesn't seem to be anything objectionable.

A very quick perusal of this didn't reveal anything particularly "objectionable" either, yet it's from a freemason website.  So, what is publicly stated and revealed is not necessarily all that is there.