The Fat Man Walking
Hey all,

A friend passed on this story to me, and I thought some of you might enjoy it too.  There's a man named Steve Vaught, and he's trying to lose weight and change his life by walking from California to New York.  It's impressive to say the least, and he's currently in Arizona.

Check it out, and let me know what you think.

http://www.thefatmanwalking.com/

Pinoy Monk
"I will probably see my wife and kids only once or twice during this time. I am not in the best condition financially to go six months without income and have resigned myself to the fact that I will lose my car and property. " I could justify the first sentence if I was the wife of a soldier but not if my husband just decided to up and walk across the country. It's very irresponsible of him to stop providing for his family for that long. I don't know what kind of job he had but he should be able to find time to exercise. Besides that, I admire him for it, and I hope people notice and start exercising more after seeing his example.

my Mother my Confidence,
Corinne

P.S. How is he planning on avoiding heatstroke? He's avoiding Kansas *and* Nebraska - bad idea.
Quote:It's very irresponsible of him to stop providing for his family for that long.

Yes, that caught my attention as well, but I suppose I was more just impressed by the mental and physical accomplishments that he's striving for.  Y'know?

Pinoy Monk
I know. As I said, I hope his example inspires more people to exercise more often. There are lots of people on the sponsors page so hopefully some of them are helping his family out monetarily.

my Mother my Confidence,
Corinne
So why didn't he just do Atkins and join a gym?  I've lost 32 pounds in 4 months as of yesterday doing Atkins.  I'm happy about it, I just had to share with someone!!  30 more to go! 
Quote: So why didn't he just do Atkins and join a gym?

I don't want to sit here and act as if I'm Steve's personal representative (being that I've never met him), but I'll give you some speculations in response to your question there.  From reading the journals and other material on his website, it seems that Steve needs something more dramatic and life changing than a gym membership.  When he's out in the middle of the desert or going through the mountains, he really has little choice but to continue walking.  If he were to sit around the home, he has the notion (according to the website) that he'd quickly give up on Atkins or any other program.  As I said above, he needs something dramatic.

Isn't it the dramatic that changes our lives too?  Sometimes, in our hardest days, we find God.  Many people don't go looking for God when they're having a great time and the world is "perfect."  Something big has to happen in order to bring about change for some people.

Pinoy Monk
Montreal_Marisa Wrote:So why didn't he just do Atkins and join a gym?  I've lost 32 pounds in 4 months as of yesterday doing Atkins.  I'm happy about it, I just had to share with someone!!  30 more to go! 

Congratulations, Reese. [Image: cheerleader.gif]  [Image: cheerleader.gif]  [Image: cheerleader.gif]

That is really great. Do you use their website to keep track or did you buy the book? I bought the cookbook and found the website through that.

I lost 55 pounds on Atkins, but I gained some back since I've been a student. I went back on induction yesterday, I mean tomorrow. [Image: wink.gif] I'm having a chocolate time of the month. Anyway, I'd like to get rid of my regained weight and figure out some portable low carb snacks so I can take them with me when the new semester starts. I don't use the nutrition bars because of all the soy in them.

Did you know that a Hershey bar has only 25 grams of carbohydrate in the whole thing?

S.A.G. ~ Kathy ~ Sanguine-choleric. Have fun...or else.

Adoramus te, Christe, et benedicimus tibi, quia per sanctam crucem tuam redemisti mundum.
Maybe his wife and children are *gasp* supportive of this so that he can work his way out of emotional turmoil  ??  Hmmmm
AdoramusTeChriste Wrote:

Congratulations, Reese. [Image: cheerleader.gif] [Image: cheerleader.gif] [Image: cheerleader.gif]

That is really great. Do you use their website to keep track or did you buy the book? I bought the cookbook and found the website through that.

I lost 55 pounds on Atkins, but I gained some back since I've been a student. I went back on induction yesterday, I mean tomorrow. [Image: wink.gif] I'm having a chocolate time of the month. Anyway, I'd like to get rid of my regained weight and figure out some portable low carb snacks so I can take them with me when the new semester starts. I don't use the nutrition bars because of all the soy in them.

Did you know that a Hershey bar has only 25 grams of carbohydrate in the whole thing?

Thank you! 

In answer to your questions, I bought the book, looked at the website a little.  I was on something similar to Atkins, a no name diet other than moderate carb/high protein for 15 years or so, because I had been diagnosed with low blood sugar and given this diet by a doctor.  Hereditary diabetes is all over my family tree, from mom on back, one of my brothers is diabetic too.  I stayed at 125 pounds during that entire time, but always had drops in sugar.  I had to eat every two hours, a big pain.  I got foolish after the birth of my youngest and starting eating cookies and such, things I avoided like the plague for years.  Gained some weight, but when I quit smoking, boy did I pile on the pounds, I became a carb addict. 

I was tired all the time, always hungry, and fat, dangerously close to 200 pounds and only 5'4" tall, so I picked up the latest Atkins book.  When I read it, I knew it worked before trying it, because it fit with what I had been doing for 15 years before my fat days, only less carbs.  It really is very similar to a diabetic diet, only less carbs.  Since I've been on Atkins I no longer have the drops in sugar, ever, and I don't have to eat every two hours to keep my blood sugar level.  I so did not want to become diabetic like mom and bro and have to take two shots of insulin a day.  I don't think I will have a problem as long as I keep on Atkins.

I know what you mean about the chocolate time of the month.  I thought I was going to go mad before I found these chocolate bars at Wal-Mart in the pharmacy area.  Belgium chocolate too.  They are a bit pricey, $3.29 CAD, but are a large bar.  It takes me about two to three days to eat one.  I love the caramel chocolate bars, and eat two or three of them during that time of the month.  The carb content is not terribly high, but it's malitol, so it won't raise your sugar level.  At least I've lost weight eating them.  I cheat on occasion with popcorn.   I find Atkin's bars are disgusting.  I don't find that I want to snack all that much since starting the diet.  The hardest time is in the evening when I'm bored.  Usually I'll eat cucumbers, strawberries, blackberries, celery with cream cheese, avocados, I eat a lot of cheese (I love cheese), for snack times.  I found these great little toast things at the market that only have 5 grams of carbs in two, plus they're made out of whole wheat.  They're great with cheese on them, or I like to buy jars of eggplant salad and put that on them, Brie, camembar (sp?), etc.  If you want I can let you know the name of them next time I shop, I threw the wrapper out. 

I should shut up now, geez, get me started talking about Atkins and I can't shut up!  I keep pestering my brother and his wife to get on it.  She's way overweight and has developed diabetes.  I'm really worried she's going to have a heart attack.  Okay, I'm shutting up now.  LOL
Montreal Marisa,

That's quite some story there.  I've always been interested in health (if people on the board haven't noticed), so I've read up on a lot of diets out there.  I don't know about your personal approach, but I've personally found that quite a few "Atkins people" (if I may say this) don't care the quality of carbs that they're eating.  They seem to treat fruit the same as a candy bar.  I find it rather ridiculous that fruit could be equated with purely processed sugar and food colouring.  Besides, look at all of the fiber in fruit.  Sure, some fruits are better than others (healthwise), but I don't like the attitude.  What are your thoughts (if I may ask)?

Pinoy Monk