The Fat Man Walking
Quote:
I've personally found that quite a few "Atkins people" (if I may say this) don't care the quality of carbs that they're eating. 

Pinoy Monk,

Have a peek at this.

http://www.mercola.com/2005/jul/28/chocolate_heart.htm

[Image: cheerleader.gif][Image: gimmefood.gif][Image: cheerleader.gif]
S.A.G. ~ Kathy ~ Sanguine-choleric. Have fun...or else.

Adoramus te, Christe, et benedicimus tibi, quia per sanctam crucem tuam redemisti mundum.
PM,

I think the dude just wants to make a name for himself and make some serious payola like that fathead in those Subway commercials.  [Image: sneaky.gif]
Hmm, this gives me a good idea.  Starting today I'm going to get really, really fat.  I mean seriously chunky.  People will make fun of my fatness as I'm eating my super sized Big Mac and fries.  I'm gonna rival a heard of cows in regards to how much methane gas I can pump into the atmosphere.  I'm really gonna get into this and as soon as I've reached my target goal I'm gonna walk around a lot and eat a Snickers bar for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  As soon as my weight rescinds to where it was before I'll write a letter detailing my experiences about how I lost all that weight by eating a yummy snickers bar.  The company will fall all over itself paying me to be in stupid commercials and I'll live on easy street the rest of my life.  Yeah, that's the ticket
LOL Rabid. You are sooo bad.

I'm worse though. DH and I were driving by a bunch of fast food joints a couple of weeks ago and we saw a group of a chunky fellas hustling over there and I said, "Oh look, team Subway." 

[Image: bounce014.gif]

Adoramus te, Christe, et benedicimus tibi, quia per sanctam crucem tuam redemisti mundum.
PinoyMonk Wrote:Montreal Marisa,

That's quite some story there. I've always been interested in health (if people on the board haven't noticed), so I've read up on a lot of diets out there. I don't know about your personal approach, but I've personally found that quite a few "Atkins people" (if I may say this) don't care the quality of carbs that they're eating. They seem to treat fruit the same as a candy bar. I find it rather ridiculous that fruit could be equated with purely processed sugar and food colouring. Besides, look at all of the fiber in fruit. Sure, some fruits are better than others (healthwise), but I don't like the attitude. What are your thoughts (if I may ask)?

Good question.  I don't know a lot of Atkins people, but it does seem to be that more than a few people who have never done Atkins seem to think there is a fruit phobia among Atkins dieters.  Probably because there are some fruits that can be as bad as processed sugar as far as affecting sugar levels in the blood.  I think the key with Atkins is to keep your sugar levels even, no highs or lows.  At least that's what I got out of the book.  Since some fruits do enter the blood stream quickly, affecting blood sugar, that is why it is  recommended to avoid them or restrict their intake.  Think about it this way, a diabetic, when having a drop in sugar (hypoglycemic reaction) they are told to drink orange or grape juice or eat candy to bring their sugar level up quick to avoid going into a coma.  If orange juice and candy will do the same for a diabetic, it will do the same in a normal person, raise the blood sugar level.  I know from my mother's diabetic diets over the years, her fruit intake was quite strict.  Her carb intake with other foods as well was restricted, bread, peas, carrots, a number of other vegies, because it all affects the blood glucose levels.  You can get your fiber from other healthy sources that won't raise blood sugar levels.
A friend at church told me that he cured his diabetes by reading the book "Fit For Life" and eating according to its instructions (it involves being vegetarian). He and his wife are vegetarian and they are never constipated. I said "That sounds much better than pregnancy constipation!" Except for Chinese a few nights ago, I've been vegetarian pretty much ever since and I'm definitely healthier. I still get diarrhea but I don't know how the heck to prevent that. I'm looking forward to borrowing the book so I can be even healthier. I think they eat lots of fruit and vegetables, which is what I need to be doing anyway.

my Mother my Confidence,
Corinne
MarysChild Wrote:A friend at church told me that he cured his diabetes by reading the book "Fit For Life" and eating according to its instructions (it involves being vegetarian). He and his wife are vegetarian and they are never constipated. I said "That sounds much better than pregnancy constipation!" Except for Chinese a few nights ago, I've been vegetarian pretty much ever since and I'm definitely healthier. I still get diarrhea but I don't know how the heck to prevent that. I'm looking forward to borrowing the book so I can be even healthier. I think they eat lots of fruit and vegetables, which is what I need to be doing anyway.

my Mother my Confidence,
Corinne

Please be very careful with vegetarianism when pregnant.  Protein is essential, and there is no better way to get good protein than with meat.  I've known quite a few fat vegetarians because they do eat a lot of fruit and breads.

I eat a lot of meat, eggs, cheeses, and vegetables, I have no problem with being regular. 
MarysChild Wrote:A friend at church told me that he cured his diabetes by reading the book "Fit For Life" and eating according to its instructions (it involves being vegetarian). He and his wife are vegetarian and they are never constipated. I said "That sounds much better than pregnancy constipation!" Except for Chinese a few nights ago, I've been vegetarian pretty much ever since and I'm definitely healthier. I still get diarrhea but I don't know how the heck to prevent that. I'm looking forward to borrowing the book so I can be even healthier. I think they eat lots of fruit and vegetables, which is what I need to be doing anyway.

my Mother my Confidence,
Corinne

I read the book years ago, and it is not a book about vegetarianism. It is about eating certain foods at certain times of the day. Fruit in the morning, pasta and veggies for lunch, meat and veggies for dinner is the way I remember it.

I found an article: http://www.thedietchannel.com/Fit-for-life-diet.htm

Kathy, that's what I thought too, but hadn't read the book. 
AndrewAngus, I notice you're new to the forum, so a word of advice. Check the dates on posts. This thread is almost 13 years old, and PinoyMonk hasn't been active on the forum in over ten years.

And welcome to FishEaters!
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe