Catholics asked to thank God for the insights of the Reformation
In this case, then, "Luther."  :LOL:

(01-16-2016, 05:10 PM)Renatus Frater Wrote: The only appropriate response fir this would be some strong expletive.

In all truth, I can and should thank Him for the insights of the Council of Trent. I cannot say anything positive about the reformation aside from the counter reformation having come along. Most of the areas that my family is from fell prey to the former, and missed the latter, until recent times.
Paul warned Timothy about those who were subverting the faith, even in his time. They have honed their skills and errors over the centuries, to where Luther and later Calvin made the most of these errors to foment a rebellion which has lead the world to our current state of chaos. The IRS says that in the USA alone, there are now over 35,000 Protestant sects and all of them surly assert a Holy Spirit inspiration. But the Holy Spirit does not bring about chaos, but unity. By their fruits you will know them is what our Savior told us and so did the Apostles.

Here's a few quotes from Paul. The 'End Times' were thought to be occurring as the Apostles got picked off one by one and Christ's return was thought to be imminent even then. But Paul's words seem like they were meant specifically for our generation, today. You all know there were other quotes from the Apostles that are apropos to the subject, but I think these are good to reflect upon, since they seem to discribe the events of and the fruits  resulting from the "Protestant Reformation'.

Quote:1Tim4:1 We are expressly told by inspiration that, in later days, there will be some who abandon the faith, listening to false inspirations, and doctrines taught by the devils. 2 They will be deceived by the pretensions of impostors, whose conscience is hardened as if by a searing-iron.
[...]
1Tim6:3 Is there some rival teacher, who refuses assent to the sound principles which are the principles of our Lord Jesus Christ, to the doctrine which accords with holiness? 4 Then it is because he is puffed up with vanity; knowledge he has none, but an itch for speculation and controversy. What comes of it? Only jealousy, quarrelling, recriminations and base suspicions, 5 all such encounters as must arise between men with corrupted minds who have lost track of the truth.
[...]
[Is this what the 'Reformation has wrought?]
2Tim3:1 Be sure of this, that in the world’s last age there are perilous times coming. 2 Men will be in love with self, in love with money, boastful, proud, abusive; without reverence for their parents, without gratitude, without scruple, 3 without love, without peace; slanderers, incontinent, strangers to pity and to kindness; 4 treacherous, reckless, full of vain conceit, thinking rather of their pleasures than of God. 5 They will preserve all the outward form of religion, although they have long been strangers to its meaning. From these, too, turn away. 6 They count among their number the men that will make their way into house after house, captivating weak women whose consciences are burdened by sin; women swayed by shifting passions, 7 who are for ever inquiring, yet never attain to recognition of the truth. 8 Moses found rivals in Jannes and Mambres; just so the men I speak of set themselves up in rivalry against the truth, men whose minds are corrupt, whose faith is counterfeit; 9 yet they will come to little, they will soon be detected, like those others, in their rash folly.
[...]
[The 'Scripture' was written. We know it as the Old Testament and it was among these books that were most redacted from the King James 'Version']
2Tim3:16 Everything in the scripture has been divinely inspired, and has its uses; to instruct us, to expose our errors, to correct our faults, to educate us in holy living; 17 so God’s servant will become a master of his craft, and each noble task that comes will find him ready for it.
[...]
2Tim4:3 The time will surely come, when men will grow tired of sound doctrine, always itching to hear something fresh; and so they will provide themselves with a continuous succession of new teachers, as the whim takes them, 4 turning a deaf ear to the truth, bestowing their attention on fables instead.
I will definitely thank God for the counter-Reformation. I think its implied (or can at least be taken that way) that this is what the Catholics are thanking God for.