The Future Pan-Orthodox Council: To Be or Not To Be?
I think there is a number of Orthodox on the Old Calendar (as opposed to Old Calendarist) for whom the issue is canonical - the date of Easter was established by an ecumenical council, and so it would take that same level of authority to change it. The pope, according to the Orthodox, does not possess this authority himself, and the "Pan-Orthodox" synod in the early 20th century certainly didn't either. Besides the theologizing of the calendar by some, there are also historical-cultural associations with the calendar. For the Russians, and the Slavs more generally, the Gregorian calendar was only introduced into civil life by the Bolsheviks - there's not really a clamor to adopt something into the Church that was introduced by those who murdered so many of their fellow-citizens. And of course, there is a strong suspicion of anything Catholic by some.
(01-26-2016, 05:23 PM)aquinas138 Wrote: I think there is a number of Orthodox on the Old Calendar (as opposed to Old Calendarist) for whom the issue is canonical - the date of Easter was established by an ecumenical council, and so it would take that same level of authority to change it. The pope, according to the Orthodox, does not possess this authority himself, and the "Pan-Orthodox" synod in the early 20th century certainly didn't either. Besides the theologizing of the calendar by some, there are also historical-cultural associations with the calendar. For the Russians, and the Slavs more generally, the Gregorian calendar was only introduced into civil life by the Bolsheviks - there's not really a clamor to adopt something into the Church that was introduced by those who murdered so many of their fellow-citizens. And of course, there is a strong suspicion of anything Catholic by some.

I'm glad you made the distinction between those on the old calendar ( myself being one of them) and old calendarists. It's lost on some, but there is a difference. It's also true what you said about the Bolsheviks and the Gregorian calendar.

What's also lost on some is that,say, Christmas,is still celebrated December 25th by those on the old style, only it coincides with January 7th on the Gregorian.

Personally I like it because it's fully traditional; it gets me in touch somehow with my ancestors and it's a way to be just a little bit out of step with the secular world.
Draft documents of the Pan-Orthodox Council for those interested:

The Importance of Fasting and its Observance Today

The Sacrament of Marriage and its impediments

Relations of the Orthodox Church with the Rest of the Christian World

Autonomy and the Means of Proclaiming It

Organization and Working Procedure of the Holy and Great Council of the Orthodox Church