Jewish migration from France
http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/22/middleeast...index.html

http://www.latimes.com/world/middleeast/...story.html

I can't figure out how to paste the text of the articles, but a couple things stuck out to me;

8,000 Jews left France last year, and about 7,000 the year before. 15,000. Yet the 2d article says Israel won't take any refugees, because, according to their PM,  they "lack of demographic and geographic depth", which I suppose is newspeak for "no, cuz we're full. And they're not Jewish." Even the liberal Israeli leaders pushing for acceptance of refugees are only looking to take in 10,000 at the most, a token number. Also, I found it interesting that folks interviewed said they haven't felt truly safe since 2000, which corresponds to an uptick in muslim immigration to France, not during Cathol or secular rule.

Just some things that stood out. Y'alls thoughts?
One could argue that the Jews in France "lack demographic and geographic depth," being overwhelmingly the descendants of immigrants from Eastern Europe who arrived only in the 1900s, as well as migrants from North Africa. The latter belong to France about as much as Muslim Algerians.

In reality, there is (or was) a sort of indigenous community of French Jews, present since antiquity, speaking their own forms of French languages (like Yiddish is Judeo-German), but this community is very small compared to Jews of international origin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shuadit_language
(01-24-2016, 08:44 AM)Sir Charles Napier Wrote: http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/22/middleeast...index.html

http://www.latimes.com/world/middleeast/...story.html

I can't figure out how to paste the text of the articles, but a couple things stuck out to me;

8,000 Jews left France last year, and about 7,000 the year before. 15,000. Yet the 2d article says Israel won't take any refugees, because, according to their PM,  they "lack of demographic and geographic depth", which I suppose is newspeak for "no, cuz we're full. And they're not Jewish." Even the liberal Israeli leaders pushing for acceptance of refugees are only looking to take in 10,000 at the most, a token number. Also, I found it interesting that folks interviewed said they haven't felt truly safe since 2000, which corresponds to an uptick in muslim immigration to France, not during Cathol or secular rule.

Just some things that stood out. Y'alls thoughts?

Seems you're conflating French Jews leaving France with Syrian refugees... ??? ???

Did all 15,000 of the French Jews go to Israel?  No matter...however many went, if any at all (sorry, I didn't read the articles  :crazy:), they could/would have gone there as Jewish immigrants under the Law of Return, which has nothing to do with refugees of other faiths. 
(02-01-2016, 02:05 PM)J Michael Wrote: Seems you're conflating French Jews leaving France with Syrian refugees... ??? ???

Did all 15,000 of the French Jews go to Israel?  No matter...however many went, if any at all (sorry, I didn't read the articles  :crazy:), they could/would have gone there as Jewish immigrants under the Law of Return, which has nothing to do with refugees of other faiths.

Good point. The CNN article said that they had moved to Israel. I understand the basic purpose of the Law of Return, but what struck me as interesting was that on the one hand, the PM is essentially saying "no refugees, Christian or muslim, we're full," but on the other hand there's space for 15, 000 Jewish expats. I guess these two articles together surprised me, since a) if my country was truly full, I'd change the law, and b) if its not full, I'd want a more active role in the events happening essentially in my backyard.
(02-01-2016, 07:02 PM)Sir Charles Napier Wrote:
(02-01-2016, 02:05 PM)J Michael Wrote: Seems you're conflating French Jews leaving France with Syrian refugees... ??? ???

Good point. The CNN article said that they had moved to Israel. I understand the basic purpose of the Law of Return, but what struck me as interesting was that on the one hand, the PM is essentially saying "no refugees, Christian or muslim, we're full," but on the other hand there's space for 15, 000 Jewish expats. I guess these two articles together surprised me, since a) if my country was truly full, I'd change the law, and b) if its not full, I'd want a more active role in the events happening essentially in my backyard.

The whole purpose of the Law of Return is to encourage Jews, not anyone else, not "refugees", to immigrate to Israel and make their home there.  I'm pretty sure that no matter how "full" the country is with Christians, Muslims, Buddhists, or whatever, there will always be room for Jews in what was established as a Jewish state.  So, there really is no contradiction here, not even an apparent one if one knows why Israel was established and what the Law of Return is.

Israel is a parliamentary representative democracy with proportional representation.  As such, if you were a citizen there you would have "...a more active role in the events happening essentially in my backyard" if you chose to participate in the political processes there, such as voting.  :)
(02-02-2016, 02:24 PM)J Michael Wrote: The whole purpose of the Law of Return is to encourage Jews, not anyone else, not "refugees", to immigrate to Israel and make their home there.

Interesting how that's okay, and nobody tells countries like Saudi Arabia that they should be less Muslim, but any attempt to keep Europe Christian is somehow bad.
(02-02-2016, 04:50 PM)Paul Wrote:
(02-02-2016, 02:24 PM)J Michael Wrote: The whole purpose of the Law of Return is to encourage Jews, not anyone else, not "refugees", to immigrate to Israel and make their home there.

Interesting how that's okay, and nobody tells countries like Saudi Arabia that they should be less Muslim, but any attempt to keep Europe Christian is somehow bad.

Well....from what I've heard, lots of folks don't think that's okay (supposing you're referring to the Law of Return, that is).  I'm one who does, though, Jew-boy that I am  :grin:.  And I also think there's plenty of people who'd love Saudi Arabia to be less Muslim, but, hey...we think we need their oil, so we shut up about it.  Maybe Christians in Europe should be and act more Christian and then it would become more Christian.  But, Secularism is the rule of the day, so....good luck with that!  At least in Israel, one can still be a Jew without being "religious".  How can a Christian be a Christian without being religious?
(02-02-2016, 05:01 PM)J Michael Wrote: Well....from what I've heard, lots of folks don't think that's okay (supposing you're referring to the Law of Return, that is).  I'm one who does, though, Jew-boy that I am  :grin:.  And I also think there's plenty of people who'd love Saudi Arabia to be less Muslim, but, hey...we think we need their oil, so we shut up about it.  Maybe Christians in Europe should be and act more Christian and then it would become more Christian.  But, Secularism is the rule of the day, so....good luck with that!  At least in Israel, one can still be a Jew without being "religious".  How can a Christian be a Christian without being religious?

I don't have a problem with the Jews wanting a Jewish state and wanting to protect their religion and their culture. But if it's good for them, then it should also be good for Christian countries to want to stay Christian. Except we keep getting told that that's intolerant. We can't even keep our liturgy the way it's always been without being accused of anti-Semitism in praying for the Jews to accept Christ as the Messias.
(02-03-2016, 01:10 AM)Paul Wrote:
(02-02-2016, 05:01 PM)J Michael Wrote: Well....from what I've heard, lots of folks don't think that's okay (supposing you're referring to the Law of Return, that is).  I'm one who does, though, Jew-boy that I am  :grin:.  And I also think there's plenty of people who'd love Saudi Arabia to be less Muslim, but, hey...we think we need their oil, so we shut up about it.  Maybe Christians in Europe should be and act more Christian and then it would become more Christian.  But, Secularism is the rule of the day, so....good luck with that!  At least in Israel, one can still be a Jew without being "religious".  How can a Christian be a Christian without being religious?

I don't have a problem with the Jews wanting a Jewish state and wanting to protect their religion and their culture. But if it's good for them, then it should also be good for Christian countries to want to stay Christian. Except we keep getting told that that's intolerant. We can't even keep our liturgy the way it's always been without being accused of anti-Semitism in praying for the Jews to accept Christ as the Messias.

"Jew-boy" that you are...? 

"Maybe if Christians in Europe acted more Christian then it would become more Christian"....... 

And yet Europe becoming less Christian had a lot to do with your fellow(?) Jewish Brethren and their historical and ongoing infiltration, subversion and undermining of the Catholic Church. See http://henrymakow.com/jewish_peril.html  and  http://www.catholicvoice.co.uk/pinay/

Secularism is largely a by-product of Jewish and Freemasonic carving out all Catholic influence on society. 

It is a bit disingenuous to tell Christians (now mostly former Christians), after they have had their Church judaized and gutted by the Jewish proxy of Freemasonry and Faith stripped from them, just to act more Christian. 

But I have a hunch you probably know that. 

(02-03-2016, 01:30 PM)BC Wrote:
(02-03-2016, 01:10 AM)Paul Wrote:

"Jew-boy" that you are...? 

"Maybe if Christians in Europe acted more Christian then it would become more Christian"....... 

And yet Europe becoming less Christian had a lot to do with your fellow(?) Jewish Brethren and their historical and ongoing infiltration, subversion and undermining of the Catholic Church. See http://henrymakow.com/jewish_peril.html  and  http://www.catholicvoice.co.uk/pinay/

Secularism is largely a by-product of Jewish and Freemasonic carving out all Catholic influence on society. 

It is a bit disingenuous to tell Christians (now mostly former Christians), after they have had their Church judaized and gutted by the Jewish proxy of Freemasonry and Faith stripped from them, just to act more Christian. 

But I have a hunch you probably know that.

Yes, I'm a Jew (and proud of it!) and am male (and proud of it!) and I believe that Jesus is the Messiah (and am proud of that, too!).  So, I can poke fun at myself by calling myself a "Jew-boy".

I'm not going to argue history (which is open to many interpretations, depending on your prejudices, and who is free of those, eh?) with you but trying to pass off the failings of the Church onto the Jews gets to be very, very old and boring.  What did Jesus say in Matthew 7:3-4?  Something about specks and logs, right?  Go figure... ???

And since when is Freemasonry a "Jewish proxy"?  C'mon, man....gimme a bleepin'  break!!  Well, conspiracy theories do abound, don't they?  Guess I'll get flamed now.... :grin: