Location ?
where are the following located viz heart, soul, spirit, body, brain, mind - any comments - wincam
Here are my thoughts.

The brain and heart are obviously physical organs located in the head and chest of the body respectively. The soul is the nonphysical animating principle and does not take up space. However, the soul is located within the body and is connected to it in such a way that it is equally dispersed and not confined to any one part of the body. The spirit is another term meaning the soul. The mind, emotion, and willpower are the three functions of the soul which distinguish us from animals. The soul communicates with the body via the brain, when the soul is separated from the body, the body dies as the soul is the thing that animates it and thus if the brain no longer functions this usually means actual death though not always. It can only be certain that the soul has left the body when the body corrupts.

In dicussing the soul, we need, first, give up the cartesian view. The question for the location of the soul is meaningless.
The human soul -- differing from the brutes -- is spiritual. We can grasp the quidditas of material things immaterialy; or in order terms, in a spiritual way. Our intellect, a faculty of human soul, can assimilate the things, whithout turning to be them.
btw - it is already noticeable and will become even more so that here as also elsewhere and all over not many will LIKE what I post - wincam
(02-02-2016, 10:58 PM)Dominicus Wrote: Here are my thoughts.

The brain and heart are obviously physical organs located in the head and chest of the body respectively. The soul is the nonphysical animating principle and does not take up space. However, the soul is located within the body and is connected to it in such a way that it is equally dispersed and not confined to any one part of the body. The spirit is another term meaning the soul. The mind, emotion, and willpower are the three functions of the soul which distinguish us from animals. The soul communicates with the body via the brain, when the soul is separated from the body, the body dies as the soul is the thing that animates it and thus if the brain no longer functions this usually means actual death though not always. It can only be certain that the soul has left the body when the body corrupts.

so you would posit a duality and if so how does that which is immaterial communicate with that which is material - wincam
(02-03-2016, 10:24 AM)Albertus Magnus Wrote: In dicussing the soul, we need, first, give up the cartesian view. The question for the location of the soul is meaningless.
The human soul -- differing from the brutes -- is spiritual. We can grasp the quidditas of material things immaterialy; or in order terms, in a spiritual way. Our intellect, a faculty of human soul, can assimilate the things, whithout turning to be them.

how can or does that which is immaterial communicate with that which is material and vice versa - wincam
(02-03-2016, 11:32 AM)wincam Wrote: so you would posit a duality and if so how does that which is immaterial communicate with that which is material - wincam

To be a bit Thomistic, the soul is the Form of the body, so yes it is a duality. I'm not certain how to explain this in words. The soul possesses the powers of intellect, emotion, and will; the body possesses the five senses by which it sends information to the brain which is then understood by the intellect, affects the emotion, and the body acts using the will in response. When the soul is separated from the body, the soul retains its powers but understands things directly via the intellect instead of through the medium of the senses.
(02-03-2016, 12:18 PM)Dominicus Wrote:
(02-03-2016, 11:32 AM)wincam Wrote: so you would posit a duality and if so how does that which is immaterial communicate with that which is material - wincam

To be a bit Thomistic, the soul is the Form of the body, so yes it is a duality. I'm not certain how to explain this in words. The soul possesses the powers of intellect, emotion, and will; the body possesses the five senses by which it sends information to the brain which is then understood by the intellect, affects the emotion, and the body acts using the will in response. When the soul is separated from the body, the soul retains its powers but understands things directly via the intellect instead of through the medium of the senses.

not a feasible but a brave attempt to answer what even baffles the best thinkers viz what bridges the gap and makes the startling leap from unconsciousness to consciousness= more later - wincam
I tried, but I'm no theologian. St. Thomas probably has something to say on it.
(02-03-2016, 06:10 PM)Dominicus Wrote: I tried, but I'm no theologian. St. Thomas probably has something to say on it.

it is dogmatically stated that this is so and so it is but the how and why have not been understand - what will be offered here will be up for refuttal and rebuttal but with certainity of acceptance - more later - wincam