Bible translations (comic + need suggestions)
(02-07-2016, 02:57 PM)Sequentia Wrote:
(02-07-2016, 10:58 AM)formerbuddhist Wrote: I also actually like the ESV believe it or not. I found a beautiful leather pocket edition laying around and took it. It's not the best Bible, and certainly not Catholic, but it's not horrible either. It's much better than the NAB.  RSVCE is pretty good...I've got the little Ignatius press pocket one...

I have to admit I like the ESV as well. I think the ESV would do well to become a "Catholic Edition," in the way Ignatius does with the RSV. Crossway will never publish a "Catholic Edition" of the ESV though; I definitely don't see that happening since they are staunchly Protestant/Reformed. I think Oxford University Press (?) printed their own ESV with Deuterocanonical books from either the KJV or RSV, but read reviews about it stating the thin pages and placement of the Deuterocanonical books were not favorable.

I suppose one could dream, of course for an ESV: Catholic Edition.

Crossway puts out some beautiful bibles though! My pocket ESV is from them, and it's got nice sturdy paper, a decent sized text and a stunning leather cover.

I'm glad you see the merits in that translation too! I was skeptical at first but it's grown on me. It's at least as readable as the RSVCE.
(02-10-2016, 01:07 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote:
(02-07-2016, 10:58 AM)formerbuddhist Wrote: I also actually like the ESV believe it or not. I found a beautiful leather pocket edition laying around and took it. It's not the best Bible, and certainly not Catholic, but it's not horrible either. It's much better than the NAB.  RSVCE is pretty good...I've got the little Ignatius press pocket one...

I have to admit I like the ESV as well. I think the ESV would do well to become a "Catholic Edition," in the way Ignatius does with the RSV. Crossway will never publish a "Catholic Edition" of the ESV though; I definitely don't see that happening since they are staunchly Protestant/Reformed. I think Oxford University Press (?) printed their own ESV with Deuterocanonical books from either the KJV or RSV, but read reviews about it stating the thin pages and placement of the Deuterocanonical books were not favorable.

Crossway puts out some beautiful bibles though! My pocket ESV is from them, and it's got nice sturdy paper, a decent sized text and a stunning leather cover.

I'm glad you see the merits in that translation too! I was skeptical at first but it's grown on me. It's at least as readable as the RSVCE.

I have to admit they do put out some nice covers for the ESV. I have a larger blue ESV that has a Celtic cross on it and I have a smaller burgundy ESV with a stylized floral cross on front. Both of these are nice bonded leather and the sewn binding is so much better than the crappy glued bindings. Both ESV Bibles have my name engraved on them. Sadly I can't find my larger blue one at the moment.

One major thing I don't like about the Crossway ESV Bibles though is the font. I haven't been able to find one of their ESV Bibles in large font. The tiny 5 or 6 pt. font in my burgundy ESV is difficult for even my eyes to see, and the footnotes are almost impossible to read. I haven't used my ESV at all any time recently.

I have been using the KJV for my daily reading of the Psalms and the Douay-Rheims (Challoner Revision) Bible for the Byzantine daily readings. Unlike most traditional Catholics, I am quite flexible with more of the "conservative" Bible translations like KJV and ESV. Many Latin Catholics also don't realize that some of the Eastern Catholic churches use the KJV or the NKJV in their English translations of the liturgy as well.There really needs to be a Catholic Edition for the KJV and ESV methinks, at least for the nerds among us (including myself).
(02-10-2016, 09:53 PM)Sequentia Wrote:
(02-10-2016, 01:07 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote:

I have to admit they do put out some nice covers for the ESV. I have a larger blue ESV that has a Celtic cross on it and I have a smaller burgundy ESV with a stylized floral cross on front. Both of these are nice bonded leather and the sewn binding is so much better than the crappy glued bindings. Both ESV Bibles have my name engraved on them. Sadly I can't find my larger blue one at the moment.

One major thing I don't like about the Crossway ESV Bibles though is the font. I haven't been able to find one of their ESV Bibles in large font. The tiny 5 or 6 pt. font in my burgundy ESV is difficult for even my eyes to see, and the footnotes are almost impossible to read. I haven't used my ESV at all any time recently.

I have been using the KJV for my daily reading of the Psalms and the Douay-Rheims (Challoner Revision) Bible for the Byzantine daily readings. Unlike most traditional Catholics, I am quite flexible with more of the "conservative" Bible translations like KJV and ESV. Many Latin Catholics also don't realize that some of the Eastern Catholic churches use the KJV or the NKJV in their English translations of the liturgy as well.There really needs to be a Catholic Edition for the KJV and ESV methinks, at least for the nerds among us (including myself).

It would be nice to have a full leather version of the KJV with Apocrypha on hand. Call me crazy but I love a nice cover and sewn binding,and I still love the KJV.  The only thing I don't like about the KJV psalter is the Masoretic numbering. I'm so used to the Vulgate/LXX numbering that it just seems off to use the Hebrew numbering.

It's interesting that the Catholic Church ( thanks to Pius XII) eventually pretty much decided to drop the Vulgate for the Jewish Bible, making modern Catholic Bibles based on the Masoretic text possible. If you look at older bibles from the last century you'll notice the psalms start  with the traditional numbering,followed by the traditional numbering with the Hebrew in parentheses--- like 129(130)---followed by the Hebrew with the traditional in parentheses---130(129)--- finally ending with the dropping of the Vulgate numbering altogether. its just interesting.