Questions about blessings
I'm probably over thinking this but I have some questions regarding blessings? I just received the blessing of Saint Blaise and I got to thinking, what exactly are the variables? I suppose part of it would be the amount of faith and goodness in the recipient and the priest. I know they aren't infallible like the sacraments.

Do blessings break when you commit mortal sin, and if so can you receive blessings while in mortal sin or are they just less effective, or do the full effect not come until confession as in sacraments?

Do blessings eventually "wear off" naturally over time, are they corroded away by venial sins?

Can blessings be layered on top of each other to strengthen them? Can one thing be "more blessed" than another or is it more like an on/off switch where either it's blessed or it's not?

I'm not trying to be scrupulous, it doesn't really matter to me, I'm just curious. Thank you ahead of time to anyone who replies.
Good questions. I hadn't ever really considered these before so I'm interested to learn more as well.

Go to the Catholic Encyclopedia and search for "blessing."  Scroll down to the part of that entry called "Efficacy."  I think that'll answer a lot of your questions.
(02-07-2016, 02:23 PM)ermy_law Wrote: Good questions. I hadn't ever really considered these before so I'm interested to learn more as well.

Go to the Catholic Encyclopedia and search for "blessing."  Scroll down to the part of that entry called "Efficacy."  I think that'll answer a lot of your questions.

Thank you, that was insightful though I still would like to know more.
Do blessings break when you commit mortal sin, and if so can you receive blessings while in mortal sin or are they just less effective, or do the full effect not come until confession as in sacraments?

Mortal sin is the death of the soul. It breaks everything that is good. It is a spiritual death. If you go to confession and receive absolution then the blessing is restored to you. If you receive a blessing in mortal sin it can have the effect like that of water washing over the rock making it smooth and breaking it down. If you cooperate with the grace of God and go to confession then it has the effect of breaking the hard prison of mortal sin and setting you free.   
Do blessings eventually "wear off" naturally over time, are they corroded away by venial sins?

Blessings do not wear off in the sense that over time they wear off. They can remain forever. However their effect can be corroded by deliberate venial sin.