Pope signals possible limited opening contraception in Zika cases
(02-18-2016, 01:57 PM)SaintSebastian Wrote: Finally, Pope Francis does not give a definitive answer here, but merely says something that may be possible, presumably pending further analysis.  In general, it's not bad for someone to not know the right answer and not come to a definitive conclusion right then and there.  Likewise, being the Pope does not mean you have all the right answers off the top of your head.  The problem is, part of the Pope's job is to ultimately give the final, right answer, so that's what people expect all the time.  And this is the most common criticism of Francis: when he doesn't have the answer, he essentially thinks out loud about what the answer might be, rather than just saying, "I don't have the answer off the top of my head, let me look into it so we can take any means that the faith allows" or something like that.

I'm not the pope, yet I know the right answer without having to think about it. And if I were asked, I could provide on the spot a succinct explanation of the Church's teaching on this point.

Edit - And Optatus Cleary has the right answer with the post above. I'm guessing Optatus is also not the pope, yet was able to give a succinct and correct response.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Pope signals possible limited opening contraception in Zika cases - by ermy_law - 02-18-2016, 03:09 PM