Pope signals possible limited opening contraception in Zika cases
(02-18-2016, 03:09 PM)ermy_law Wrote:
(02-18-2016, 01:57 PM)SaintSebastian Wrote: Finally, Pope Francis does not give a definitive answer here, but merely says something that may be possible, presumably pending further analysis.  In general, it's not bad for someone to not know the right answer and not come to a definitive conclusion right then and there.  Likewise, being the Pope does not mean you have all the right answers off the top of your head.  The problem is, part of the Pope's job is to ultimately give the final, right answer, so that's what people expect all the time.  And this is the most common criticism of Francis: when he doesn't have the answer, he essentially thinks out loud about what the answer might be, rather than just saying, "I don't have the answer off the top of my head, let me look into it so we can take any means that the faith allows" or something like that.

I'm not the pope, yet I know the right answer without having to think about it. And if I were asked, I could provide on the spot a succinct explanation of the Church's teaching on this point.

Edit - And Optatus Cleary has the right answer with the post above. I'm guessing Optatus is also not the pope, yet was able to give a succinct and correct response.

I believe I could too. And I am willing to bet we are more knowledgeable and can articulate and explain the faith better than some other bishops too and many priests and even various past Popes (take Benedict IX as an extreme example). As St. Francis de Sales said, "Thus we say that we must appeal to him not as to a learned man, for in this he is ordinarily surpassed by others."  In my experience, Catholics who participate in serious internet discussions on the faith usually have a better handle on things than much of the clergy.  It is what it is. 

I don't know, the priests I know who came through the seminaries of that era even getting very advanced degrees (and I can only guess what the Argentinian and Chilean Jesuits were doing) are often very ignorant of the principles underlying certain doctrines and aren't trained in the kind of scholastic reasoning that leads to fine distinction making. They haven't even heard of most of the encyclicals or writings of the Saints or other sources we have read.  They are not savvy about and don't have time to delve into the modern tools of information and only have the remnants of what they were taught.  In this case, he has one point of information (a predecessor permitted it for a hard case) and therefore concludes it might be possible now in this hard case.

I don't know, maybe I am naiive, but this Pope reminds me so much of so many other priests around his age.  I have found most are well-meaning, but are sadly products of their time.  I try and have some compassion on them and not presume malicious ignorance. 

Messages In This Thread
Re: Pope signals possible limited opening contraception in Zika cases - by SaintSebastian - 02-18-2016, 03:33 PM