Can houses be possessed?
Thank-you for all the suggestions. I will look into some of them.

On a positive note, my exploding water heater was on warranty. Small mercies, surely.
I recommend that you find a god plumber and pray the rosary every day as a  family.
(02-19-2016, 04:42 PM)Credidi Propter Wrote: Talk to your pastor about what is going on, and ask him to bless your house.  Perhaps you could also lay some blessed St. Benedict medals around your house (ideally blessed by a Benedictine priest).  You can get small ones to tape behind wall pictures and other discreet places so they won't get in the way or get taken.  Another thing you can do is sprinkle holy water around your house every so often.  Blessed salt works well for this too.  I also suggest you look into family enthronement to the Sacred Heart.

I second these suggestions. If there is demonic activity in your house, it would help, if not, then think of it as fortifying your home instead. As for enthronement, it brings all sorts of blessings, which is why I hope one day I can get my family to do it, too.
(02-20-2016, 01:13 AM)Poche Wrote: I recommend that you find a god plumber and pray the rosary every day as a  family.

That would help, wouldn't it?  :LOL:
Try the prayer below, said several times while walking through your home..

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Dominicus nailed it when he said houses can be infested, but not possessed. And objects can be cursed.

St. Gregory of Tours (539-594) gives us a haunted house story, related in "The Four Books of the Miracles of St. Martin," Book 3; Chap 37:  "At this time when a certain woman remained alone at the loom when the others had gone, a most frightful phantom appeared as she sat, and laid hold of the woman and began to drag her off. She screamed and wept since she saw there was no one to help, but still tried to make a courageous resistance. After two or three hours the other women returned and found her lying on the ground half dead and unable to speak. Still she made signs with her hand, but they did not understand and she continued speechless. The phantom which had appeared to her attacked so many persons in that house that they left it and went elsewhere. In two or three months' time the woman came to the church and had the merit to recover her speech. And so she told with her own lips what she endured."

Creepy! And here's a documentary on one of England's most famous cases of infestation:

As to what to do, I think the Fishies here nailed it already. Assume it's natural and get a great plumber and all that, but cover yourself and have your house blessed, make use of holy water, blessed salt, the St. Benedict Medal, and other sacramentals, enthrone your home to the Sacred Heart, etc. Glad I'm not in your shoes, PM... Gosh! And the expenses have to be killing you! I'm so SORRY! Have you considered setting up a "Go Fund Me" or other type thing to solicit help paying for all this stuff?? If you do, please let us know!

(02-20-2016, 07:52 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: And the expenses have to be killing you! I'm so SORRY! Have you considered setting up a "Go Fund Me" or other type thing to solicit help paying for all this stuff?? If you do, please let us know!

Ha ha ha... I've never thought of that!

It's not been fun but we're determined. I feel like we're throwing good money after bad, but we're in a situation where selling isn't even an option because of the state of the house.

But things are looking up. We're over the hump in terms of expenses, and it's mostly just labour at this point.

Thanks again everyone for your wisdom!
(02-21-2016, 01:00 AM)PrairieMom Wrote: Ha ha ha... I've never thought of that!

It's not been fun but we're determined. I feel like we're throwing good money after bad, but we're in a situation where selling isn't even an option because of the state of the house.

But things are looking up. We're over the hump in terms of expenses, and it's mostly just labour at this point.

Seriously, PM, setting up a "Go Fund Me" type thing might really, really help you! Or maybe it won't, but you won't know 'til you try! Can't hurt anyway! If I read a story like yours at a place like that, and if I trusted it (and I, obviously, trust you), I'd give! When you wrote about FIFTEEN THOUSAND BUCKS my heart went to the floor. Man alive! That is SO much money! That's more than it takes for me to live for an entire year! And you have kids! Oh, my gosh!

Whatever you do, I so pray that whatever money you need to take care of it comes your way! And that the water stuff gets its *&%( act together and stops tormenting you!
(02-21-2016, 01:27 AM)Vox Clamantis Wrote:
(02-21-2016, 01:00 AM)PrairieMom Wrote: Ha ha ha... I've never thought of that!

Seriously, PM, setting up a "Go Fund Me" type thing might really, really help you! Or maybe it won't, but you won't know 'til you try! Can't hurt anyway! If I read a story like yours at a place like that, and if I trusted it (and I, obviously, trust you), I'd give! When you wrote about FIFTEEN THOUSAND BUCKS my heart went to the floor. Man alive! That is SO much money! That's more than it takes for me to live for an entire year! And you have kids! Oh, my gosh!

Whatever you do, I so pray that whatever money you need to take care of it comes your way! And that the water stuff gets its *&%( act together and stops tormenting you!

It is a lot of money for us - we had to take it out of the equity of the house - but it was still cheaper than moving once you pay the fees and land transfer taxes that we pay here. Last time we moved, by the time we paid the movers, the real estate commission, land transfer taxes, lawyer, etc, it was almost $10K, and that house had 1/2 the value of this one. It's the land transfer tax that really kills you, it's a percentage of the assessed value, and our house has almost doubled in assessed value since 2009 when we bought (isn't that crazy??). We have a major housing shortage here, and even modest homes come at a premium, a semi-detached will sell for close to $225,000, and that's in the middle of the bald bloody prairie with the closest major city 2 hours away. 

We looked around before dumping money into this pit and we wouldn't be much further ahead if we moved, as our mortgage would be pretty close to what we pay now, and we'd either be back in semi (which we left) or in the core (not great for our disabled child + the house would likely be 100+ years old with all that entails). At least here, we're in the suburbs on a decent-sized lot on a quiet cul-de-sac, our house has good square-footage (and by the time we're done our never-ending renos we'll have 3 baths and 5 bedrooms), it's close to my daughter's school, and we have easy access to some large tracts of green space. It's really an idyllic place to grow up, if only we could get the water thing licked.
(02-21-2016, 05:25 PM)PrairieMom Wrote: It is a lot of money for us - we had to take it out of the equity of the house - but it was still cheaper than moving once you pay the fees and land transfer taxes that we pay here. Last time we moved, by the time we paid the movers, the real estate commission, land transfer taxes, lawyer, etc, it was almost $10K, and that house had 1/2 the value of this one. It's the land transfer tax that really kills you, it's a percentage of the assessed value, and our house has almost doubled in assessed value since 2009 when we bought (isn't that crazy??). We have a major housing shortage here, and even modest homes come at a premium, a semi-detached will sell for close to $225,000, and that's in the middle of the bald bloody prairie with the closest major city 2 hours away. 

We looked around before dumping money into this pit and we wouldn't be much further ahead if we moved, as our mortgage would be pretty close to what we pay now, and we'd either be back in semi (which we left) or in the core (not great for our disabled child + the house would likely be 100+ years old with all that entails). At least here, we're in the suburbs on a decent-sized lot on a quiet cul-de-sac, our house has good square-footage (and by the time we're done our never-ending renos we'll have 3 baths and 5 bedrooms), it's close to my daughter's school, and we have easy access to some large tracts of green space. It's really an idyllic place to grow up, if only we could get the water thing licked.

:(  This all just so sucks. I wish I could wave a wand and make all those house problems go away. Sigh.

I guess the thing to do is to do what you're doing when you say "at least here, we're..." and go on to list some of the great things about where you're are. Counting your blessings, I guess is the way to put it. I'm glad you're able to do that, PM :)

But, still, I wish -- well, I wish you'd win the lottery or something. His Will be done!