Suppression of Saints' feast days?
(02-21-2016, 08:58 PM)Paul Wrote: Are you thinking of St Philomena?

There was a lot of change to the calendar along with the new Missal. Some of the saints that were believed to be mostly legendary, or that we know hardly anything about were removed, as were many of the Roman martyrs that weren't among the more important ones like St Lawrence, St Agnes, St Agatha, etc. That freed up a lot of days on the calendar, so other saints were then moved to their actual date of death, when they had to be placed on another day previously.

While it didn't occur until after Vatican II, the revision of the calendar isn't something that started there. The problem of "too many saints" (if it is one) was the reason for the 1911 reform of the Breviary - and the calendar after the Council of Trent had even fewer Saints on it than the 1969 calendar did.

The author was specifically talking about the case of the feast day of Saint Margaret. I don't have the book in front of me at the moment, but he was describing all the different "Saint Margarets" whose existence or identities can't be verified(?). The remark about the suppression of St. Margaret's feast day in 1969 was brought up in only half a sentence, with no explanation drawn out. It was mentioned almost as if a passing remark and as something minor.

There was another Saint the author mentioned earlier in the book but I can't remember who it was. He mentioned the suppression of the Saint's feast day as well in the early 1960's.

I know he used the word "suppression" in both cases. Hence, why I'm wondering. I already know the case about St. Philomena, that is not the Saint he was referring to; since this is a book about a heretical incident that occurred in 15th century Germany.

Messages In This Thread
Suppression of Saints' feast days? - by Sequentia - 02-21-2016, 08:19 PM
Re: Suppression of Saints' feast days? - by Paul - 02-21-2016, 08:58 PM
Re: Suppression of Saints' feast days? - by Sequentia - 02-22-2016, 12:44 PM