Modesty for men
There is almost no talk about modesty among men in regards to clothes.

I have always believed that Catholic men should be properly taught to dress modestly for Mass and especially outside of the house. For example the proper dress for men outside the house would be a nice collared shirt with at least blue jeans and using a belt to keep the jeans from falling down.

I understand that certain jobs such as construction require different clothes because of the nature of their job.

I have noticed that certain men see no problem with coming to Mass with a football jersey on but shouldn't we as men be dressed in the best possible clothes that we can afford for Mass?

We see modesty talked about for Women all the time but never for men why is that?

Thank you sir.

Would you be okay with a polo shirt as it has a collar outside the house when one is engaging in golf or marksmanship opportunities?

Are shorts allowed outside the house during said events? With or without a belt?
(03-01-2016, 04:38 PM)items Wrote: Thank you sir.

Would you be okay with a polo shirt as it has a collar outside the house when one is engaging in golf or marksmanship opportunities?

Are shorts allowed outside the house during said events? With or without a belt?

Do I detect a note of sarcasm?
I thought this thread was going to be about something very different.  If you've been around certain young Italian or Hispanic men, clothing can be revealing...

I wouldn't describe the slob wearing the jersey or shorts to Mass as "immodest", just classless.
The ideal for modesty would be cassock. Unfortunately many of us are not ordained. :(

Joking aside, yes, one should not go like a bum to Mass. In daily life I usually use collared shirt or polo and pants. Never shorts.
With that simple rule there's plenty of ways to dress up or down according to the situation.

I suppose for women its harder because even their modest clothes are harder. Too many options, too many details, too much female vanity, etc., and also only recently started a major movement for subverting male clothing (maybe because men don't care about fashion but dress according to received customs more naturally).

(03-01-2016, 03:20 PM)Trad Catholic27 Wrote: There is almost no talk about modesty among men in regards to clothes.

I have always believed that Catholic men should be properly taught to dress modestly for Mass and especially outside of the house. For example the proper dress for men outside the house would be a nice collared shirt with at least blue jeans and using a belt to keep the jeans from falling down.

I understand that certain jobs such as construction require different clothes because of the nature of their job.

I have noticed that certain men see no problem with coming to Mass with a football jersey on but shouldn't we as men be dressed in the best possible clothes that we can afford for Mass?

We see modesty talked about for Women all the time but never for men why is that?

When one goes to worship God publicly one should be respectful, and yes, modest.  Wearing a football jersey might be modest in that it doesn't necessarily expose one's body or lead others to sinful thoughts.  However, it ain't necessarily respectful--unless, of course, one has an extremely limited wardrobe and a football jersey constitutes one's "best" clothing--pretty unlikely given the cost of football jerseys, although not necessarily the case for a poor or homeless person.
I'm a fan of the idea that if I wouldn't go to a job interview or retirement in shorts or a jersey, why would I wear it to Mass.

Other than Mass, it's jeans or cargo pants, and a tshirt or collared shirt, depending on the occasion. Nothing vulgar, and usually with deer, fish, or soccer teams.

(03-01-2016, 04:38 PM)items Wrote: Are shorts allowed outside the house during said events? With or without a belt?

On that note, would I have to retire my zebra striped banana hammock as proper beach wear?
(03-01-2016, 07:52 PM)Sir Charles Napier Wrote: On that note, would I have to retire my zebra striped banana hammock as proper beach wear?

For our sanity, please do
I think it's helpful to return here to an older and fuller sense of modesty. Modesty isn't simply a covering of the body. Modesty is a part of temperance, prudence, proper decorum, both interior and exterior. Hence the person who dresses disrespectfully to Mass IS being immodest because he draws attention to his lack of respect for the sacred space of the church and divine worship. Someone who dresses very well but in a very eye catching way is also being immodest by drawing undue attention to himself or herself. We must consider more than covering the body but what is proper to a society and a social occasion.

I think in our culture it is far easier for women to be obviously immodest than men, and I word that carefully. Easier--obviously-than men. Men are probably very immodest most of the time, but we pay less attention to it because of our cultural dynamics and the huge focus Americans or even Westerners in general place on sexuality and the "female identity" from feminism. I suspect priests even to a certain extent buy into this (or at least slide by and accept the status quo) and hence don't often think that men need the proper formation just as much as women do in this area.

It's also difficult as a priest because we think of modesty as covering the body, which it is, but again that is only one part, and typically men cover their bodies more than women because they are socially encouraged to do so while women are socially encouraged to reveal their bodies. It's hard to address "modesty" as covering the body if most men already do that well. But if we address a lack of due decorum in the church, in our social positions, in public, and even at home as examples to children, then there's plenty of material for a priest to cover.
Most men, guidos aside, do not go around with inordinate amounts of skin showing. We also don't wear tight clothing. Also, the way most men dress doesn't incite lust in women. Most women are so intoxicated on feminist hatred for men that they are thoroughly repulsed by even our existence so that makes lusting require much more than skin.