A New Protocol
(03-05-2016, 05:40 PM)PrairieMom Wrote:
(03-05-2016, 03:02 AM)Dominicus Wrote:
(03-05-2016, 12:23 AM)PrairieMom Wrote: I agree, but there are times where his role is less spiritual and more political. In those instances, I'm not too sure what the controversy is. There are heads of state that have committed far worse sins than remarrying, IMO, but they are still greeted by the pontiff.

Then again, maybe I got my nose a bit out of joint over this because the spouse will almost invariably be a woman, and yet she's the one excluded from the initial greeting even though it takes two to tango.

Well I would assume that's because the Head of State is most likely male simply because most are male. The spouse, whether male or female, is most likely just the heads plus one.

Oh, I know, it's just if the logic is that it's due to "irregular marriage", why is the female spouse excluded and the male head of state not? It seems to me, it takes (only) 2 to make a marriage.
It takes three.
(03-05-2016, 05:40 PM)PrairieMom Wrote: Oh, I know, it's just if the logic is that it's due to "irregular marriage", why is the female spouse excluded and the male head of state not? It seems to me, it takes (only) 2 to make a marriage.

Because the Pope is also a head of state, and greeting other heads of state is part of the Pope's temporal duties as a head of state - out of respect for the person's office, even if it's held by a public sinner. The spouse has no official position, and it sends the message that the situation isn't morally acceptable while still showing respect for the office. I'd expect the same thing if the head of state were female and he refused to greet the husband.

Sounds like it's too mean and judgmental for modern man, though.
In a next step one may imagine that the Pope will greet an arab muslim king head of state with his many spouses and (why not?) concubines.
(03-07-2016, 10:07 AM)maso Wrote: In a next step one may imagine that the Pope will greet an arab muslim king head of state with his many spouses and (why not?) concubines.
That is if he thinks to bring them with him.
??? ??? ???