the Orthodox have an incorrupt saint!
http://www.pravoslavie.ru/english/91243.htm

What do you all think?  The picture only shows Archbishop Dmitri's hands, but they are actually incorrupt!  Not the mummified that passes for incorruption, but actual incorruption!
Interesting, so either he's a saint or he's a vampire.  :LOL:
Orthodox Saints post schism can't really be considered as Saints because they are outside of the authority of the Church.

(03-05-2016, 10:35 PM)Trad Catholic27 Wrote: Orthodox Saints post schism can't really be considered as Saints because they are outside of the authority of the Church.

They aren't canonical Saints but that doesn't mean they aren't in heaven. I think that incorruption is a pretty good sign of saintliness, though I still won't rule out vampirism.
:LOL:

Yeah that's true it is a very good sign for holiness when the body is incorruptible and of course them being in Heaven
(03-05-2016, 08:25 PM)Melkite Wrote: http://www.pravoslavie.ru/english/91243.htm

What do you all think?  The picture only shows Archbishop Dmitri's hands, but they are actually incorrupt!  Not the mummified that passes for incorruption, but actual incorruption!

It seems that most Catholics have a funny idea of how incorruption works. All incorrupts eventually start looking mummified. Archbishop Dmitri died a few years back, so it's no wonder, for an incorrupt, that his hands still look like hands. Give it a few decades, or a century, and he'll look like the other incorrupt saints. Incorruption is a sign, not a substitute for faith.
(03-06-2016, 12:26 AM)Beardly Wrote: It seems that most Catholics have a funny idea of how incorruption works. All incorrupts eventually start looking mummified. Archbishop Dmitri died a few years back, so it's no wonder, for an incorrupt, that his hands still look like hands. Give it a few decades, or a century, and he'll look like the other incorrupt saints. Incorruption is a sign, not a substitute for faith.

Then they are no more saintly than pagan Incan princesses or Egyptian kings.
St. Alexander of Svir was a mummified incorrupt too. I bet Pravoslavie has something on it. Others like the much beloved St. Seraphim of Sarov were just dust and bones. There's no guarantee of sanctity just because someones physical body doesn't decay entirely over the centuries. Heck even Buddhist monks and Hindu Swamis are sometimes incorrupt.

http://full-of-grace-and-truth.blogspot....d-his.html

That's a nice long piece on St. Alexander of Svir, along with photos.

Wasn't Archbishop Dmitri actually an American,like a Southern Baptist turned Russian Orthodox? If so he'd be one of the first modern Orthodox saints culled from our own, and a convert to boot!  Seraphim Rose doesn't count because he's controversial, he's never been canonized and to my knowledge he wasn't incorrupt.

At any rate,the Rod Dreher piece about the late Archbishop was pretty nice. It's rare to find a high ranking cleric who's approachable these days whether they are Orthodox or not. I pray the man is in Heaven.

The crazy thing is that even in our own time and place there are these saintly characters like Archbishop John Maximovitch, Father John Hardon ( on the Catholic side) , and now this man.

(03-06-2016, 05:40 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: http://full-of-grace-and-truth.blogspot....d-his.html

That's a nice long piece on St. Alexander of Svir, along with photos.

Wasn't Archbishop Dmitri actually an American,like a Southern Baptist turned Russian Orthodox? If so he'd be one of the first modern Orthodox saints culled from our own, and a convert to boot!  Seraphim Rose doesn't count because he's controversial, he's never been canonized and to my knowledge he wasn't incorrupt.

At any rate,the Rod Dreher piece about the late Archbishop was pretty nice. It's rare to find a high ranking cleric who's approachable these days whether they are Orthodox or not. I pray the man is in Heaven.

The crazy thing is that even in our own time and place there are these saintly characters like Archbishop John Maximovitch, Father John Hardon ( on the Catholic side) , and now this man.

Didn't someone, and for the life of me I can't remember who, say something like, "God makes saints; the Church sometimes recognizes them"?  Or something like that...