The New Canonizations
I heard from a reliable source that Pope Francis does not believe the new Canonizations are infallible, even in regard to JPII.
Cite?
Does anyone have any clarification on what exactly these new canonizations are?
Hasn't it been discussed for a long time now whether canonizations are infallible? I know St. Thomas Aquinas believed so... though I've always been curious about how that relates to legendary saints who might have been ahistorical.
(03-15-2016, 03:23 PM)dcmaccabees Wrote: Cite?

Can't.  It was in person and I don't remember their name.
(03-15-2016, 03:26 PM)Jan313 Wrote:
(03-15-2016, 03:23 PM)dcmaccabees Wrote: Cite?

Can't.  It was in person and I don't remember their name.

I don't doubt that someone said something like this to you, but if it were true it would be being blared incessantly by the usual suspects.  There's no evidence that Pope Francis believes such a thing.

That's not to say that others haven't said something similar, though.  My guess is that is what your acquaintance is remembering.
Pope Benedict added the following petition to the canonization rite, but Pope Francis has used a prior, shorter version of the rite that does not include it:

"Most Holy Father, Holy Church, trusting in the Lord's promise to send upon her the Spirit of Truth, who in every age keeps the Supreme Magisterium free from error, most earnestly beseeches Your Holiness to enroll these, her elect, among the saints."

That's the only thing that might be used to argue this point, but canonizations have been considered infallible long before this petition was ever used.  It's more likely just evidence that Pope Francis likes brief, "low" rites. :shrug:

On the other hand, Pope Francis clearly believes in a broad infallibility for the Church and that the Pope is the guarantor of it, as he expressed in his closing address to the Synod in October 2014.
http://en.radiovaticana.va/news/2014/10/...od/1108944

Some quotes from the address to this end:

"This is the Church, our Mother! And when the Church, in the variety of her charisms, expresses herself in communion, she cannot err...
----
...the Holy Spirit who throughout history has always guided the barque, through her Ministers, even when the sea was rough and choppy, and the ministers unfaithful and sinners
----
....and the presence of the Pope is the guarantee of it all.
---
...the Pope, in this context, is not the supreme lord but rather the supreme servant – the “servant of the servants of God”; the guarantor of the obedience and the conformity of the Church to the will of God, to the Gospel of Christ, and to the Tradition of the Church"