Praying in Purgatory
I've been wondering, we pray for the souls in purgatory, but can they pray for us?

And for each other?
They can pray for us but not for each other.
Are you able to receive a prayer or a thought of friends who are dead, and let them know of the remembrance we have of them?

Thoughts of earth can be made known here, but there is not much in all that, because I have already told you that the souls in Purgatory know those persons who interest themselves in their behalf on earth. God sometimes allows those on earth to receive a prayer, a warning or some information. All that I told you about St. Michael was from himself and all that I said about your Father was from God.

All the commissions that you have so often given me for the other world, I have always done, but all these things are subordinate to the Divine Will.

http://www.purgatory.ca/treasury-manuscript.php
Do the souls in Purgatory console each other mutually?

In Purgatory our only consolation, our only hope is in God alone. On earth, God sometimes allows us to be consoled in our sufferings of soul or body by the heart of a friend, but then again if the love of Jesus does not fill that heart, the consolations are vain. Here the souls are lost, drowned as it were, in the Divine Will and God alone can soften their pains. Each soul is tormented according to its guilt, but all have one common sorrow that surpasses all the rest, the absence of Jesus who is our very element, our life, our all. And we are separated from Him through our own fault.

http://www.purgatory.ca/treasury-manuscript.php
There seems to be a split of opinion.  It seems St. Thomas is the biggest name on the "no" side, but the "yes" side seems more common and has many Saints which support it as well.  Here's a good article with the opinions of different saints.

http://catholicism.org/can-the-souls-in-...or-us.html

Neat. Thanks for the references. I will read up on it further. I wasn't sure where to start, so that helps!
(03-21-2016, 09:11 PM)PrairieMom Wrote: I've been wondering, we pray for the souls in purgatory, but can they pray for us?

And for each other?

The only opinions we have on this is theologians blowing hot air out of their asses.  The reality is we have no way of knowing one way or another, since beyond someone verifiably returning from there, the only way to have certainty would be actual divine revelation, i.e, public revelation.
(03-23-2016, 09:46 AM)Melkite Wrote: The only opinions we have on this is theologians blowing hot air out of their asses.  The reality is we have no way of knowing one way or another, since beyond someone verifiably returning from there, the only way to have certainty would be actual divine revelation, i.e, public revelation.

It's not arbitrary conjecture.  They make a deduction from things that are revealed.  For example, we know that that those being purified have died in the friendship of God, and are therefore secure in their salvation, permanently united to God, and love with a love continually approaching perfection.  A person united to God and being filled with charity will pray for others, since that is one part of charity that Our Lord commands.

What's interesting is Aquinas doesn't actually give much support other than to say because of their pains they are in no position to pray.  I agree with Bellarmine that this is unconvincing.