Nuns in favor of contraception mandate. Really?
(03-24-2016, 01:56 PM)Sir Charles Napier Wrote: True, car insurance companies can and will drop bad drivers.  As for home insurance, bad things can and do happen again, but short of gross negligence, companies generally don't drop homeowners.  So why should health insurers be allowed to drop you because you had a heart attack, or were diagnosed with ADHD as a child, or because your child had an issue?

Why shouldn't they? Why should they be forced to pay your medical bills? It's one thing for the government to encourage charity; it's another to require one person to pay another's medical bills just because one is rich and the other isn't.

(03-24-2016, 01:56 PM)Sir Charles Napier Wrote: Would that include laws that mandate ERs provide care, without regard to whether or not the individual can pay?  I go to the ER, I can't pay, the hospital looks to recoup some of the money, so rates go up, insurance goes up, health insurance premiums go up...

Certainly those laws are part of the reason health care costs are so high. And typical of the way government does things - pass a law which has consequences, blame those consequences on all sorts of other things, and then pass another law in response. With as big as Medicare and Medicaid are, there's hardly a free market in health care.

(03-24-2016, 01:56 PM)Sir Charles Napier Wrote: Quite true, and I'm sure that would've helped many folks out.  Yet another thing that could've been addressed during the ACA debate, had it been debated instead of ram rodded through the legislature. 

On a related note, it would also suck to quit or be laid off due to downsizing, then be unable to get health insurance at your new job because of an injury that occurred at your previous job.  Or would that be expecting someone else to pay my bills?  :eyeroll:

If it occurred at your previous job, that would be covered by the previous insurance - or, if you were allowed to keep your insurance, it wouldn't be an issue.