Spy Wednesday
I just asked my sister if she knew the origins of the name Spy Wednesday.  She came up with a few interesting options:
a) it is James Bond's birthday
b) It is evil, vile, betrayer, fiend, schmuck Wednesday because of Judas - otherwise known as the "Sanhedrin schlemiel"
c) because on this day, once a year, you really do "spy with your little eye something blue"
She's insane! 

Ask her if she knows what Quasimodo Sunday is.
I will preface this by saying that my sister is not a trad in any sense of the word.

Quasimodo Sunday:
a) an ice cream sandwich deformed by sitting in the car too long
b) a celebration of the hunchback of Notre Dame
c) a wannabe designer from Italy
d) now known as Divine Mercy Sunday
In that vein of thought, what in the world does "Maundy" mean? And likewise, what exactly is "good" about Good Friday? Its the anniversary of the single worst event in all of history! Not to mention, isn't Easter the name of a pagan goddess or something?

Someone really needs to come up with some better names.  :LOL:
Lol. Your sister is quite imaginative. Maybe some liturgical reforms should go through her first  :P

Liturgical reform in her hands would be a terrifying thing.  She sees nothing wrong with the NO and is quite liberal. 
Anybody for Fontevrault's sister for Pope eh?

Maybe we can rename the Mass to "That thing with the bread and singing and stuff".
Nope: "hippie hootenanny."
How about it is the day in which the reading from the Gospel at mass is about Judas betraying Jesus.
(03-23-2016, 10:06 PM)Dominicus Wrote: In that vein of thought, what in the world does "Maundy" mean?

It's from 'Mandatum', the first word of the first Antiphon at the washing of the feet ceremony: 'Mandatum novum do vobis, ut diligatis invicem, sicut dilexi vos.'

(03-23-2016, 10:06 PM)Dominicus Wrote: And likewise, what exactly is "good" about Good Friday? Its the anniversary of the single worst event in all of history!

There's no resurrection, and no redemption, without the Cross. It's 'good' because it opened heaven for us. Wikipedia says the OED says it comes from a meaning of 'good' as 'holy', a day observed as holy by the Church.

Neither name is used in Latin: Maundy Thursday is 'Feria quinta in Cœna Domini' and Good Friday is 'Feria sexta in Parasceve', or, in the revised Holy Week, 'Feria Sexta in Passione et Morte Domini'.