Question for fathers with daughters
(04-01-2016, 09:33 AM)Fontevrault Wrote: These early years pass far too quickly.  Cherish those moments and remember them well.  They are over before you know it!

This and then some.
(04-01-2016, 09:33 AM)Fontevrault Wrote: That being said, be prepared.  When my youngest turned 3, I spent a month crying about him never being a baby again.  These early years pass far too quickly.  Cherish those moments and remember them well.  They are over before you know it!

All the more reason to keep having more babies!
(04-03-2016, 05:13 PM)AllSeasons Wrote: [quote='Fontevrault' pid='1310700' dateline='1459517614']That being said, be prepared.  When my youngest turned 3, I spent a month crying about him never being a baby again.  These early years pass far too quickly.  Cherish those moments and remember them well.  They are over before you know it!

All the more reason to keep having more babies!
[/quote

It's funny you should say that!  Pilgrim and I have always wanted a large family and have prayed for children.  I have had trouble with fertility throughout my twenties and thirties.  4 years ago, Pilgrim and I adopted 3 little ones from Russia (one of the last adoptions to make it through) and received a surprise gift from God - our 4th child (conceived within about 3 weeks of bringing the children home).  Given my issues, he was pretty much a miracle.  I'd never managed to carry a baby past 3 months and then all of a sudden I was 5 months pregnant and didn't even know it!  A few months ago I turned 40 and we figured our chances of another little darling were pretty much gone.  Well, we got another surprise just this past week . . .  Yup.  Another gift I never even dared hope for.  We shall see how this pregnancy goes; I'm sick and miserable which is a good sign.  For now, I will simply rejoice in another little life and pray he/she is strong and healthy.  God is good!
(04-03-2016, 05:21 PM)Fontevrault Wrote: It's funny you should say that!  Pilgrim and I have always wanted a large family and have prayed for children.  I have had trouble with fertility throughout my twenties and thirties.  4 years ago, Pilgrim and I adopted 3 little ones from Russia (one of the last adoptions to make it through) and received a surprise gift from God - our 4th child (conceived within about 3 weeks of bringing the children home).  Given my issues, he was pretty much a miracle.  I'd never managed to carry a baby past 3 months and then all of a sudden I was 5 months pregnant and didn't even know it!  A few months ago I turned 40 and we figured our chances of another little darling were pretty much gone.  Well, we got another surprise just this past week . . .  Yup.  Another gift I never even dared hope for.  We shall see how this pregnancy goes; I'm sick and miserable which is a good sign.  For now, I will simply rejoice in another little life and pray he/she is strong and healthy.  God is good!

Congratulations!  That is wonderful that you will get the big family that you've always wanted.  My wife also had a miscarriage last year, and it hit her pretty hard.  But now we have a beautiful daughter.  God is good, and we just need to trust Him and give Him thanks.
No kidding!  Trust and He won't disappoint.  Now if every pregnancy didn't start with a sinus infection and abject misery, life would be about perfect.  :)
(03-27-2016, 06:05 PM)AllSeasons Wrote: We had a beautiful baby girl a week and a day ago.  We're obviously very excited, and as a new father, I can't help but start thinking about all kinds of things, like the schools she will be going to, the men she's going to date/marry (and my shotgun), the costs of tuition/wedding, life insurance, how best to instill the Catholic faith in her, etc., etc.  Is it weird of me to think of all those things that are still years into the future?  I want her to lead a good life, and I guess I've already started worrying.  I've never really been a worrier; in fact, I've always made fun of my dad for being such a big worrier.  Now the tables have turned, and the scary thing is that I'm starting to see my dad in me!  Anyway, I look at the tiny baby now, and I see the beautiful woman she's going to grow up to be, her graduation ceremony, and me walking her down the aisle one day to give her to a good young man.  But she's still so tiny, just a week old.  Am I overthinking this?  Anyway, for fathers with daughters out there, any insight/suggestions you could share would be great.  Thank you.

Do you have a white ladder?
(03-27-2016, 06:05 PM)AllSeasons Wrote: We had a beautiful baby girl a week and a day ago.  We're obviously very excited, and as a new father, I can't help but start thinking about all kinds of things, like the schools she will be going to, the men she's going to date/marry (and my shotgun), the costs of tuition/wedding, life insurance, how best to instill the Catholic faith in her, etc., etc.  Is it weird of me to think of all those things that are still years into the future?

Not weird! Normal -- and achingly beautiful! Enjoy your little girl. As others have said, they grow up VERY QUICKLY. My grandson is 3 (his birthday is January 1), and it freaks me out how big he is, how talkative and curious, when just a couple of years ago, he was an infant, unable to speak a word.

I recommend making a scrapbook and adding to it as you go along so you won't forget "the little things". She says something adorable, write it down! She does something silly, write it down! Take lots of pix! Paste it all into a book and give it to her when she's 18. She will LOVE it, I promise! (Take lots of video, too -- but, if you ask me, don't show them to her when she's young. I hate the idea of kids developing "personae" too early, putting thought into how they look, especially on film, and worrying about how others perceive them...)