Best and Worst: Top 10 Most Inflammatory and Anti-Inflammatory Foods!
Lard is a very anti-inflamatory aliment, and makes food more delicious -- potatoes fried in lard is really good. We should avoid all hidrogenated vegetable oils.
(04-01-2016, 12:35 PM)Albertus Magnus Wrote: Lard is a very anti-inflamatory aliment, and makes food more delicious -- potatoes fried in lard is really good. We should avoid all hidrogenated vegetable oils.

You are correct sir!

And to add that bacon fat is mostly mono-saturated oil and like olive oil, if cooking with this oil is done at the preferred lower temperature, the transfat problem never arises. This transfat problem is most evident in Canola/Rapeseed Oil (a substitute for crankcase oil) which produces 6.8% of its volume (highest ratio of vegetable oils) in transfats when cooked at the high temperatures needed to sufficiently cook using this oil. Also, next to soybean oil, it is the most GMO of vegetable oils with corn running a close third.
(04-01-2016, 04:48 PM)Zedta Wrote:
(04-01-2016, 12:35 PM)Albertus Magnus Wrote: Lard is a very anti-inflamatory aliment, and makes food more delicious -- potatoes fried in lard is really good. We should avoid all hidrogenated vegetable oils.

You are correct sir!

And to add that bacon fat is mostly mono-saturated oil and like olive oil, if cooking with this oil is done at the preferred lower temperature, the transfat problem never arises. This transfat problem is most evident in Canola/Rapeseed Oil (a substitute for crankcase oil) which produces 6.8% of its volume (highest ratio of vegetable oils) in transfats when cooked at the high temperatures needed to sufficiently cook using this oil. Also, next to soybean oil, it is the most GMO of vegetable oils with corn running a close third.

While I"m not disagreeing with the deliciousness and dietary appropriateness of bacon grease and lard, it's really, really hard to find a ready source of either that's not laden in chemicals. Bacon, unless you're smoking that baby yourself, is going to have nitrates, and lard unless you're processing it yourself from a pastured-raised pig, is going to have additives like TBHQ in it. Not cool.
Quite right, most ALL bacon is processed and commercially produced lard has its problems, but in comparison to the vegetable oils, they seem better. 'Course, 'when you choose between to evils, your still picking evil' (Jerry Garcia). I fry infrequently and use Coconut oil, Olive oil or my own saved bacon grease. I put it through a sieve before refrigerating it.

I have a good source for bacon, it is unprocessed. Just to my south is the University of Florida and they have a Veterinary College there that has a butcher shop. Their research animals are very humanely raised and slaughtered. One can get very well raised meats there that are not subjected to chemical processing, antibiotics and the like. Yummy!