Burkinis
(06-10-2016, 04:01 PM)introvert Wrote:
(06-10-2016, 01:38 AM)JohnTherese Wrote: I saw on another forum some guy got a St. Benedict's medal and had a Society Priest bless it  :LOL:

I don't think there's anything wrong with tattoos, people can't hardly say they're immodest anymore, unless they're excessive, or of something sinful...the ones I've got are from a pretty dark period in my life, and I wasn't a Catholic then. I'd probably have still ended up with a few.

I once struggled with whether or not tattoos and piercings were "Christian" things to do and get. My husband would like another one, but I'm not sure. I have a nose piercing myself, along with ear piercings and had other Christians tell me it wasn't Christian.
Were they Catholic? There is nothing in the Code of Canon Law, Catechism, or New Testament that forbids it, so I don't understand that whole "it's not Christian" thing.
Share Love: Thanks for sharing more about your tribute to your dad. That's inspiring!

Introvert: I think Share Love covered it...I'd like to add that my understanding is that custom has a lot to do with modesty.

Can someone who knows more about theology and Church teaching elaborate on how this relation between custom and modesty might relate to tattoos?

(06-10-2016, 04:27 PM)Share Love Wrote:
(06-10-2016, 04:01 PM)introvert Wrote:
(06-10-2016, 01:38 AM)JohnTherese Wrote: I saw on another forum some guy got a St. Benedict's medal and had a Society Priest bless it  :LOL:

I don't think there's anything wrong with tattoos, people can't hardly say they're immodest anymore, unless they're excessive, or of something sinful...the ones I've got are from a pretty dark period in my life, and I wasn't a Catholic then. I'd probably have still ended up with a few.

I once struggled with whether or not tattoos and piercings were "Christian" things to do and get. My husband would like another one, but I'm not sure. I have a nose piercing myself, along with ear piercings and had other Christians tell me it wasn't Christian.
Were they Catholic? There is nothing in the Code of Canon Law, Catechism, or New Testament that forbids it, so I don't understand that whole "it's not Christian" thing.

No, they were fundamentalist Evangelical. I tried to explain to this person that in my culture, ear piercings aren't bad at all, they are just a beauty/aesthetic custom. She then countered it with "well in MY culture, that's not a good thing" and then proceeded to go on to how other cultures were pagan until she saw the look on my face and what I had to say to her next. LOL. I wasn't mean, just firm.
(06-11-2016, 02:49 AM)JohnTherese Wrote: Can someone who knows more about theology and Church teaching elaborate on how this relation between custom and modesty might relate to tattoos?

Here's a talk by Fr. Chad Ripperger on appearance and accessories:
(06-11-2016, 02:49 AM)JohnTherese Wrote: Share Love: Thanks for sharing more about your tribute to your dad. That's inspiring!
You're welcome! :)