Family Games

Just a little F.Y.I.:  I added a Word document filled with "family dinner table stuff" -- activities, and games families can play -- games that require no paper, no pencils, no dice, no cards, no nothing. At the end of that document are special games you can play in the car, only one requiring anything (a download of 4 travel bingo cards). It's 25 pages worth of different games -- lots and lots of them, around 80 in all. Almost all of these games (the non-car ones) -- can be played as well while waiting in a doctor's office, standing in line (or "on line" if you're from New York City LOL), etc. 

I'll update it whenever I come across a new one, and I'm always on the look-out for new games! If anyone out there has a good one, pleeeease send it on to me, will you? (TracyTucciarone@yahoo.com). I LOVE games, and want as complete a list as possible of things to do to have some fun while having dinner, waiting at the driver's license branch, taking a long road trip...

You can download the games from a link about halfway down the "Domestic Church: The Catholic Home" page. Enjoy!

P.S. I might make another list of games that require pens, paper, dice, cards, etc. Not sure about that, not promising anything, but I have it in my mind as a possibility...

Above the link to the games is a link to a huge list of questions and also to classic questionnaires, such as the Proust questionnaire, the questions that guy on "Inside the Actors Studio" asks his guests, the "Questions to Build Intimacy" I've mentioned here a few times, etc. Printing out both of those documents -- the questions one is 16 pages long, and I will likely update it as I think of new juicy questions -- and then putting them in a folder you keep next to your table will practically ensure you have interesting, fun family dinners. I also think that all those games can help young kids learn that they can entertain themselves without electronics and things, that they can just be with another person and come up with things to do. I think that's a very important thing for kids to learn.

P.P.S. For larger groups -- such as when extended family gets together for Easter dinner or something, or if you have a beautifully classic Catholic family with tons of kids (age recommendation is 10+, but slick in the membranes younger kids can play) -- I highly recommend an inexpensive (less than $9), store-bought, card-based game called The Werewolves of Millers Hollow. You need at least 8 players (and can have as many as 18). There are extension decks as well, which I have but haven't played with yet, so can't say much about. As I write, the game has 253 reviews and an almost-but-not-quite 5 star rating at Amazon. This is more an after-dinner game than a during dinner game:

[Image: werewolf1.jpg]