need ideas
I was thinking of doing a pilgrimage some time this summer but now I'm thinking I should do something more local, much more local.

There are not really any Catholic shrines right in my area and I don't feel like driving into the city. Anyone have any ideas?
Are you sure there's no shines in your area? Even a little hole-in-the-wall one? I have 2 within a couple of hours of me.

Where do you live? You'd be surprised at the number of pilgrimage sites in the U.S. and A.

http://www.catholicshrines.net

http://ssvmusa.org/index.php/catholic-cu...ed-states/

There's several not too far from me in DC.
Actually, I managed to find that one of the local Catholic parishes in my town is marked as a "pilgrimage church" for the Year of Mercy. This will be perfect for me because I will not have to drive far, can do it on a Sunday or other weekday, and at the same time allow myself to see some of the other local Latin-rite parishes in the area. It's actually a beautiful church architecturally on the outside and not too "wreckovated" on the inside for a parish that offers only the Ordinary Form of the Mass.
I would like some ideas of that, too. I was hoping to make a pilgrimage to Fatima in October 2017, but I don't think I can muster up the funds in time for something like that. Maybe some other shrine in the US, preferably the East Coast, will make their own 100-year anniversary celebrations for Our Lady of Fatima?
(04-17-2016, 07:44 PM)TradCathYouth Wrote: I would like some ideas of that, too. I was hoping to make a pilgrimage to Fatima in October 2017, but I don't think I can muster up the funds in time for something like that. Maybe some other shrine in the US, preferably the East Coast, will make their own 100-year anniversary celebrations for Our Lady of Fatima?

I guess it depends on how far you are willing to travel, how much time you want to spend, and cost.

Something else I thought of besides visiting a local pilgrimage church for the Year of Mercy or a shrine would be to visit a Catholic cemetery or cemetery where family members are located and pray for them. There is a cemetery in London where many poor women-especially prostitutes and children-were buried from the 16th to early 19th centuries on unconsecrated ground...these are the kinds of people we should be praying for.
(04-17-2016, 02:30 PM)Sequentia Wrote: I was thinking of doing a pilgrimage some time this summer but now I'm thinking I should do something more local, much more local.

There are not really any Catholic shrines right in my area and I don't feel like driving into the city. Anyone have any ideas?

What part of the country do you live in?