Michael Voris comes out with his past sins....(Too much info)
Thank you, Vox.  I've been away from my desk for a bit or I would have done the same.

Obviously, the opinions expressed by CINO "traditionalists" do not represent the position of FishEaters, it's staff or (more importantly) the Church.  Mr Voris has our prayers and our support.
Surely people are exaggerating when they completely abandon the TLM because one guy at one forum on the internet anonymously say some nasty things. Heck, I wouldn't quit going to the TLM if the whole choir were to be composed of nasty people. This is really infantile.

Also, this is the first time Truecharity was being a bit of a p*** (I know for a fact that substituting the rest of the word for asterisks does not gets one banned, as I've seen many times).
Also, I'm pretty sure one could find some instance of a bunch of us being « xenophobic », some of us being « misogynists » or of Vox being « racist. » If one starts shunning illiberal thoughts using the excuse they are « scandalous » then I'm not sure who'd be left. We'll end up building safe spaces all around.

Also, to Greg and Truecharity :

Apostle John Wrote:If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just, to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all iniquity.
(04-26-2016, 01:16 PM)ermy_law Wrote: It doesn't identify it for someone who is being obstinate and using words in such a way as to thwart their plain meaning, sure.

According to a catechism from the 17th century, "The sin of Sodom, or carnal sin against nature, which is a voluntary shedding of the seed of nature, out of the due use of marriage, or lust with a different sex."

Since everyone, except you, agrees with the usual understanding of this idea, it would seem that burden is on you to show that your "rape" theory is correct.

Wanted to reply to this earlier but forgot: this definition of "sodomy," then, includes masturbation and fornication. Interesting.
Yes, I thought that was interesting as well.  It seems like taking a pastoral approach that talked about groups of sins like that instead of focusing on one group of people would be beneficial. After all, if we're being frank, it is not just homosexuals who regularly engage in "sodomy."
(04-29-2016, 09:53 AM)ermy_law Wrote: Yes, I thought that was interesting as well.  It seems like taking a pastoral approach that talked about groups of sins like that instead of focusing on one group of people would be beneficial. After all, if we're being frank, it is not just homosexuals who regularly engage in "sodomy."
It would seem then, that gang rape also falls into this category.
Yes, I think that, according to that theologian's definition, rape would fall into that category since his definition of the sin of Sodom is any carnal sin against nature.
So basically every carnal sin that is against animal nature is as grave as homosexuality, which is abominable (Lev. 20, 13) ?

Yes, that is very reasonable.  :eyeroll:
I don't know if it is reasonable or not. I could see some benefit to explaining things this way because it gets across the seriousness of these sins, which is something particularly important given the current state of our "culture." As it is, even on this traditional Catholic forum, we have people regularly questioning whether masturbation is a mortal sin... so it's clear that there is a need to catechize on these sins and their gravity.
(04-29-2016, 11:57 AM)ermy_law Wrote: I don't know if it is reasonable or not. I could see some benefit to explaining things this way because it gets across the seriousness of these sins, which is something particularly important given the current state of our "culture." As it is, even on this traditional Catholic forum, we have people regularly questioning whether masturbation is a mortal sin... so it's clear that there is a need to catechize on these sins and their gravity.
Who questions that?
Well, this forum is famously surprisingly liberal when it comes to sex, especially when it comes to homosexuals, but only one time one troll questioned if masturbation was a grave sin.

It might do something for people who already believe contraception is a grave sin, but I suspect the pedagogical effect you're looking for will be lost on everyone else, who will simply laugh at the whole comparison. Its like Thomists arguing that masturbation is worse than rape (that is finished in the proper region, of course)--it doesn't matter how devoted one is to St. Thomas, its simply ridiculous.