Michael Voris comes out with his past sins....(Too much info)
(04-21-2016, 11:31 PM)GangGreen Wrote:
(04-21-2016, 11:23 PM)PrairieMom Wrote: Ok, now I'm thinking about this, and why was the Archdiocese of New York trying to dig up dirt on him?

That doesn't seem very Christian to me.

(Church of Nice my *ss)
He's been attacking the AD of NY and Dolan for a long time and especially on the gay issue. So it's easy enough for them to try to dig up dirt that maybe this 40+ year old unmarried celebate revert just may have a gay past. It allows them to paint him as hypocritical. Often times closeted gays are almost obsessive about the gay issue or attacking gays. We can see that here with his much CM talks about the subject vs other Catholic news sites.

It's still ridiculous. And in some senses, the fact that he has a "gay past" makes him almost more credible. But I can also understand how he didn't really want to reveal it either, because it's in the past.
I do think he made a mistake about how he dealt with this. He should have used his past experiences to make him more compassionate to people living such lives as he one lived. He knows what misery it is. Not everyone has a mother who can cause their conversion. I think it would be much more helpful if he had continued to identify, at least in relevant situations, as gay/bi.

As we have seen on this forum, many gay people, who live according to the faith, still struggle to fit in and continue to battle with doubts. It is totally unclear exactly what sort of role such people have to play in the Church, and people avoid talking about it. Eve Tushnet has done a wonderful job about exploring this and sharing her experiences with people. She shows how this apparently unwelcomed disadvantage can be used for the the ultimate good, as it did in her case, to lead her to a life of celibacy and devotion to helping others. Despite his celibacy and apostolate, Voris seems to still be confused about all this. He lacks the joyful warmth and understanding required when spreading the good news. He just shouts at people and gives that stern eye, all the time. As a result he only re-enforces the stereotype of the gay self-loathing Catholic. Sad.
Truth be told it's probably going to be his downfall.  Many times the loudest are the ones that fall the hardest. Sure it's brave to come out and air all this stuff, but now he's just going to be tarred and feathered as just another self loathing gay hiding behind the false security of religion and doctrine.

Whatever happens Michael is in need of prayers and probably a sabbatical of soul searching.
(04-21-2016, 11:25 PM)Truecharity Wrote: (I've always wondered why MV liked to sport pink ties and shirts frequently in his videos.)

do you think that of all priests on gaudete sunday?
(04-22-2016, 06:06 AM)formerbuddhist Wrote: Truth be told it's probably going to be his downfall.  Many times the loudest are the ones that fall the hardest. Sure it's brave to come out and air all this stuff, but now he's just going to be tarred and feathered as just another self loathing gay hiding behind the false security of religion and doctrine.

Whatever happens Michael is in need of prayers and probably a sabbatical of soul searching.

That's the thing. If you look at most of the other traditionalist (of whatever flavor) Catholic outlets, none of them focus on the gay thing nearly as much as CM. You have to wonder how Voris goes on from here. Will anyone take him seriously on the topic anymore? Does he lay off it? Does he continue in the same way? I guess he could always talk about how clerical abuse led him down that path and it's the reason why he has such deep resentment for homosexuals in the priesthood.  It may be the only way he could work it. In the same sense it could also open him up to do work with people with same sex attraction to overcome their tendencies and embrace chastity. 
I believe this is one of the best videos I've seen by CM. Finally something that looks Catholic ! Something that reminds me of St. Augustine, St. Angela of Foligno, etc. You can perceive the reality, the almost palpable, heavy substance that is the power of the Cross and the Resurrection (the same power that operates in us, Eph. 1, 19). I don't understand how people would want to trade that for the fuzzy, ephemeral feeling of being welcomed in the abstract—something that many, if not all, use to settle with their sins.

That aside, I don't see the necessity of making a public confession and I don't see how it discredits him on speaking of the gay issue. I remember having discussions here with people who claimed priests could not speak about sex because they're celibate and I used to mention the most famous case of St. Augustine, who speaks out of experience. Now people think that because this guy has experience, from his past life, that he cannot speak about it ? Which is it ? Yes, and of course, men cannot speak about women, because we're men. And if some women criticize feminism, that's just self-hatred.
No ! The infiltration of gays in the Church, the general immortality and intemperate passion of Catholics, the crazy feminism deforming the Church, are grave issues that should be addressed by Catholics in good standing (and bad Catholics !) regardless of their past life or other contingencies.

I don't follow CM (especially not after the SSPX debacle) to see if they are or are not obsessed with the gay issue. But I'll just leave this here.
New York archdiocese denies allegation that it sought to smear Michael Voris

The Archdiocese of New York has said it is “absolutely, 100 per cent untrue” that it was preparing to smear the Catholic journalist Michael Voris.
Voris, the editor of ChurchMilitant.com, alleged that the archdiocese had been collecting information about his personal life before he became a Catholic.

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news/201...ael-voris/
(04-22-2016, 11:29 AM)Truecharity Wrote: New York archdiocese denies allegation that it sought to smear Michael Voris

The Archdiocese of New York has said it is “absolutely, 100 per cent untrue” that it was preparing to smear the Catholic journalist Michael Voris.
Voris, the editor of ChurchMilitant.com, alleged that the archdiocese had been collecting information about his personal life before he became a Catholic.

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news/201...ael-voris/

Of course they can't do it now...they misjudged him. I'm sure they belived he would run scared and  they could blackmail him, or that he would lie about it and they could label him a fraud, but if they stuck their head up now it would be cut off.

I am really bothered by this on so many levels. First, the accusations against the NY diocese. If that's so, then what a sickening, disgusting thing for them to do. Detraction to the max. Revolting!

Second, the idea that Mr. Voris was apparently made to believe he owes people an apology for having been a great(er) sinner before his reversion (I use the "-er" to indicate that we're ALL sinners, not that Mr. Voris is some special breed of sinner). The asking for forgiveness at the end -- no way. He's already been forgiven by God; he doesn't need people in his audience to forgive him. He didn't sin against them by keeping his private life -- esp. his past private life -- private. That's no one's danged business. Period, the end. If any "Catholics" storms away from CM for his revealing past sins -- or even present ones he might be struggling with -- then they're asses in need of a good dose of humility and charity, and a night spent in getting the beams out of their own eyes.

Third, I do wish that Voris had been more forthcoming about any past struggles with homosexuality, for all the reasons Xan brought up. He could've been soooooo much more effective if he had. He could've offered a lot of hope to those struggling with homosexual inclinations (a group I feel great compassion for, even though I'm not queer myself). I'm curious as to why he didn't go that route, whether it's because hes' just a private kinda guy -- or whether he thought that certain trads would reject his work (there are definitely those toxic types out there who likely would) -- or something else.

Anyway, I hope this doesn't harm his apostolate.

P.S. And this sort of thing is exactly why I'm in favor of those who are struggling with homosexuality "coming out". The idea of people "having something on you," being able to blackmail you, having power over you in that way -- if I were homosexual, I couldn't bear it. The idea of feeling as if I were living a double life or some such would bug the heck out of me.  I'd be out and -- not "proud" (why by "proud" of having a disorder?) but unashamed.