Michael Voris comes out with his past sins....(Too much info)
(04-26-2016, 04:25 PM)GangGreen Wrote: [...] However, it's clear from the account that the gang of people turned down two virgin women and instead wanted the men (angels in disguise). What is interesting is that Lot seems more concerned about the rape of his two guests than the rape of his own daughters.

It's interesting, but not surprising. His daughters would have been his property to give to the gang should he chose. Was it moral? Probably not, but it was within the realm of what he was legally able to do.

On the other hand, the rules of hospitality is desert culture are generally quite strict. By accepting the men into his household, he would have been accepting them into his protection. I haven't done research on it specifically as it would have applied to the that epoch, I'm just extrapolating what I know about other cultures in similar environmental conditions. But I would assume that there would have been serious social repercussions had he  handed the men over against their will.

Not negating that sodomy is a serious sin, but everything that I've ever read about that passage suggests that it's not simply a case of men wanting to have sex with men. It's also fundamentally about Lot's disposition, his status in the society where he lives and how that status is utilized, the cultural norms he lived in, and ultimately what's pleasing to God.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Michael Voris comes out with his past sins....(Too much info) - by PrairieMom - 04-26-2016, 11:04 PM