Early Dating Hurdle and Mass
He’s a very blunt man and ‘pull the band aid’ kind of guy.  He levels that with a kind nature and warm disposition other times.  I guess he believes hard talk is tough love. 

I guess he makes sense though also. He ‘advised’ the young man that a man must especially love all things about his wife even more if she has illness/unable to have children.  Children make a marriage grow closer and their creation is at the core of the sacrament.  So this man needs to really think about what his future looks like so as to not waste my time or his time.  Further, he needs to really examine if he truly is interested in a change of ‘female companion’ or is he going through a fetish/phase.  And there is a BIG difference between past and present...  And if we're going to be church buddies, my friend has to draw a line as well.

It may come across as mean spirited but these are good things to consider.  But like I said, I am just over the moon that the boy sees himself investigating Christianity more.
Don't worry Zubr, I think plants are wonderful.  :LOL:

Makes me wonder what kind of plant you are...
Yes, Dominicus, plants are truly wonderful.  They are heavenly decorations.  :)

I'm wondering what kind of plant I am too; I spent some time at work trying to ponder it.  The plant must be oversensitive and requires lots of care.  A Persian violet?  :grin: Probably just a big ol' rubber plant with root rot pushed in a corner of an office though.  :LOL:
Regarding boring people and the plants, Chesterton said:

There is no such thing on earth as an uninteresting subject; the only thing that can exist is an uninterested person. Nothing is more keenly required than a defence of bores. When Byron divided humanity into the bores and bored, he omitted to notice that the higher qualities exist entirely in the bores, the lower qualities in the bored, among whom he counted himself. The bore, by his starry enthusiasm, his solemn happiness, may, in some sense, have proved himself poetical. The bored has certainly proved himself prosaic.

We might, no doubt, find it a nuisance to count all the blades of grass or all the leaves of the trees; but this would not be because of our boldness or gaiety, but because of our lack of boldness and gaiety. The bore would go onward, bold and gay, and find the blades of grass as splendid as the swords of an army. The bore is stronger and more joyous than we are; he is a demigod--nay, he is a god. For it is the gods who do not tire of the iteration of things; to them the nightfall is always new, and the last rose as red as the first. (Heretics, ch. 3)
I have immigrant parents with extremely high standards, and I could see my parents making some kind of comment like that.

I'm glad to hear this guy is warming up to Mass. Do you attend EF or OF? I'm surprised this guy is Slavic but not Catholic, or Orthodox?
(05-02-2016, 11:30 PM)richgr Wrote: Regarding boring people and the plants, Chesterton said:

There is no such thing on earth as an uninteresting subject; the only thing that can exist is an uninterested person. Nothing is more keenly required than a defence of bores. When Byron divided humanity into the bores and bored, he omitted to notice that the higher qualities exist entirely in the bores, the lower qualities in the bored, among whom he counted himself. The bore, by his starry enthusiasm, his solemn happiness, may, in some sense, have proved himself poetical. The bored has certainly proved himself prosaic.

We might, no doubt, find it a nuisance to count all the blades of grass or all the leaves of the trees; but this would not be because of our boldness or gaiety, but because of our lack of boldness and gaiety. The bore would go onward, bold and gay, and find the blades of grass as splendid as the swords of an army. The bore is stronger and more joyous than we are; he is a demigod--nay, he is a god. For it is the gods who do not tire of the iteration of things; to them the nightfall is always new, and the last rose as red as the first. (Heretics, ch. 3)

This quote just made my night.  :)
(05-03-2016, 12:10 AM)introvert Wrote: I have immigrant parents with extremely high standards, and I could see my parents making some kind of comment like that.

I'm glad to hear this guy is warming up to Mass. Do you attend EF or OF? I'm surprised this guy is Slavic but not Catholic, or Orthodox?

Isn't it funny how immigrant parents across cultures can share so much of the same mindset?  :)

We attend OF not by choice.  I learned at our parish that there is a local push to the get the EF here.  So, I pray that materializes. 

You’re right; I was quite surprised that he wasn’t exposed to at least Orthodoxy.  In fact, it was what I was expecting to hear.  He says he hasn’t been baptized either which really makes me sad.  According to him, his parents didn’t fulfill their roles as caregivers and they had their own problems so they never considered spirituality.  By the time he grew up, he was already into a lot of troubling things and didn’t consider spiritual questions.  So, now, older and wiser, he acknowledges a belief in God and that people are judged for their sins.  Yes, he believes people sin.  I doubt he’s contemplating these questions on vacation but he was provided with a list of questions to consider in the inquiry stage.  That should give him an idea of what he believes.

Naturally, he was scared that he wouldn’t be accepted.  Even those without religious experience are aware (sadly) of the bad reputation of some Christians being judgmental.  I am SO thankful that people were kind.  It was a good experience in that he can see himself going again. 

I have this gnawing feeling inside me that he should be exposed to Orthodoxy just because of the ethnic factor.  I know it’s a flawed logic but he really should see what could have been if his parents followed a typical path.  However, I don’t want to confuse him with so much information at once.  He'll have to answer these questions though research himself and with spiritual guidance.  This is way over my head.  :crazy: 
Remember, we want Catholic :) Prayerfully, of course. No sense in tooting our horns :P