Ode to My Family
Trigger warning: tipsy--but I write my best posts (and certainly most of them) tipsy. Maybe mildly drunk.

Upon visiting my Maw-maw, 92, today in her assisted living home with a goodly number of family members, I was reminded of the joy of extended family. To me, that is Catholicism--family: here and above (maybe even below). You'll either get that one, or you won't. At times, when I browse other traddy forums (mea culpa), I'm always disheartened to read threads by those who want to disown family because THEIR CATHOLIC FAITH COMMANDS IT.  Perhaps I'm too pagan. I can't leave my family to follow Christ. Take that as you must, will, or should.

This video by the Cranberries sums it up liturgically:

Yes, this woman (one who, by the way, publically opposed abortion, much to the dismay of the readers of Rolling Stone) may have short hair and wear pants (or, at least,she did back in the 90s), but she and her band showcase the ideal Catholic life: melancholic, tipsy old men; plentiful, dirty children; family; good music; and a sense of place.

To those young-ish Fishies, if you don't think that you have a vocation to the religious/religiously secular life, find someone, marry, and start having babies. Don't be like your buddy, Bourbon Apocalypse, who has wasted far too much time in regrettable escapes of the flesh, only to wonder what his children would look like had he married whom he should have married.

Selah.

(05-01-2016, 11:54 PM)Bourbon Apocalypse Wrote: Yes, this woman (one who, by the way, publically opposed abortion, much to the dismay of the readers of Rolling Stone) may have short hair and wear pants (or, at least,she did back in the 90s), but she and her band showcase the ideal Catholic life: melancholic, tipsy old men; plentiful, dirty children; family; good music; and a sense of place.

Oh, lan' sakes! -fans myself exuberantly- I do decla-yuh that the ladyfolk ought to have unshorn hair and only wear skirts or dresses, at all times, in all circumstances --

...oh wait. I also have short hair and wear pants.  :grin:
(05-02-2016, 12:31 AM)Share Love Wrote:
(05-01-2016, 11:54 PM)Bourbon Apocalypse Wrote: Yes, this woman (one who, by the way, publically opposed abortion, much to the dismay of the readers of Rolling Stone) may have short hair and wear pants (or, at least,she did back in the 90s), but she and her band showcase the ideal Catholic life: melancholic, tipsy old men; plentiful, dirty children; family; good music; and a sense of place.

Oh, lan' sakes! -fans myself exuberantly- I do decla-yuh that the ladyfolk ought to have unshorn hair and only wear skirts or dresses, at all times, in all circumstances --

Oh, honey chile, y' goin' to hell.
(05-02-2016, 12:36 AM)Bourbon Apocalypse Wrote:
(05-02-2016, 12:31 AM)Share Love Wrote:

Oh, honey chile, y' goin' to hell.

At least I'll look extra cute.  :LOL:

The key, as a woman, is to have short, *feminine* haircuts and wear *women's* pants.  Now, as for the women who try to look masculine and get men's haircuts and stuff...I can't speak for that.
I don't doubt that!

BTW: I see what you did with the word play.
(05-02-2016, 12:49 AM)Bourbon Apocalypse Wrote: I don't doubt that!

This is kind of embarrassing, but what word play are you referring to? It's past midnight and I'm actually not sure, looking over my own post.  :LOL:
(05-01-2016, 11:54 PM)Bourbon Apocalypse Wrote: At times, when I browse other traddy forums (mea culpa), I'm always disheartened to read threads by those who want to disown family because THEIR CATHOLIC FAITH COMMANDS IT.  Perhaps I'm too pagan. I can't leave my family to follow Christ. Take that as you must, will, or should.

NOTHING "Catholic" about disowning family. The very idea sickens me. We're not Scientologists, for crying out loud. Family is precious!

Disowning family is completely unnatural, and any Catholic who'd disown family members for something like their not also being Catholic is not doing the Catholic thing, is screwing up big time, is missing an opportunity to evangelize, is teaching his kids that if they don't act right they might no longer be family, too, is teaching his kids how NOT to get along and love others (even if they're not Catholic or huge sinners, as all the rest of us are sinners), is setting his kid up to rebel once he gets into the world and notices that the same sort of people his parents disowned may well be full of natural virtue and are kind and warm and funny and generally harmless to others, and is most likely being holier-than-thou, judgmental ass.

It's one thing if being around a certain person is an actual, REAL occasion of sin for you, but "occasion of sin" doesn't mean "offended because Uncle Joe is an active homosexual" or some such. And it's one thing, too, to have boundaries set up to protect yourself from those truly "toxic" type people who are major sociopaths or narcissists or what have you - and another thing to cut someone off because they're the "designated sinners" in your mental world.

I think it's so beautiful that you got all inspired to write such a post after visiting with your ancient "Maw-Maw"! What a great grandson you must be :)

Great post and what a great song.

Dolores O'Riordan has an absolutely amazing voice.
(05-02-2016, 02:23 AM)Share Love Wrote:
(05-02-2016, 12:49 AM)Bourbon Apocalypse Wrote: I don't doubt that!

This is kind of embarrassing, but what word play are you referring to? It's past midnight and I'm actually not sure, looking over my own post.  :LOL:

Ha--the clarity of the morning has me wondering as well.
(05-02-2016, 06:45 AM)Vox Clamantis Wrote:
(05-01-2016, 11:54 PM)Bourbon Apocalypse Wrote: At times, when I browse other traddy forums (mea culpa), I'm always disheartened to read threads by those who want to disown family because THEIR CATHOLIC FAITH COMMANDS IT.  Perhaps I'm too pagan. I can't leave my family to follow Christ. Take that as you must, will, or should.

NOTHING "Catholic" about disowning family. The very idea sickens me. We're not Scientologists, for crying out loud. Family is precious!

Disowning family is completely unnatural, and any Catholic who'd disown family members for something like their not also being Catholic is not doing the Catholic thing, is screwing up big time, is missing an opportunity to evangelize, is teaching his kids that if they don't act right they might no longer be family, too, is teaching his kids how NOT to get along and love others (even if they're not Catholic or huge sinners, as all the rest of us are sinners), is setting his kid up to rebel once he gets into the world and notices that the same sort of people his parents disowned may well be full of natural virtue and are kind and warm and funny and generally harmless to others, and is most likely being holier-than-thou, judgmental ass.

It's one thing if being around a certain person is an actual, REAL occasion of sin for you, but "occasion of sin" doesn't mean "offended because Uncle Joe is an active homosexual" or some such. And it's one thing, too, to have boundaries set up to protect yourself from those truly "toxic" type people who are major sociopaths or narcissists or what have you - and another thing to cut someone off because they're the "designated sinners" in your mental world.

I think it's so beautiful that you got all inspired to write such a post after visiting with your ancient "Maw-Maw"! What a great grandson you must be :)

You're spot on, Vox. I realize that some people, for their emotional/mental/spiritual health, must cut off certain family members and friends, but, yes, I agree: those who cut off family so that they won't be "scandalized" that people exist who don't believe/live as they do is very sad--and a loss of potential opportunities to witness.

(I'm not the worst the grandson.  8-) )