First Novus Ordo.... so confused.
Sigh.
I am a longtime former atheist. I grew up in a super liberal area, in a secular household.
By the Grace of God I wondered into an SSPX chapel one day a year ago and my life was completely turned upside down. I had no idea what I just experienced. I literally felt like I had left earth behind. It was Pentecost Sunday, a High Mass. I just remember feeling speechless... stunned... that this existed and I never knew of it before. My faith grew quickly. I eagerly took catechism classes and was baptized.

So a year into my Catholic journey I decided to see what this Novus Ordo was all about. I went to one in my area and it was packed. The only women with a veil on, I felt a bit silly from all the stares. It was mostly older women in their 50s and 60s. I did not see many young families like at my SSPX chapel which is mostly younger folks.
I did not see hardly anyone genuflect before getting in the pew and no one was kneeling before Mass starts. I saw religious statues but despite that it already felt foreign. When "Mass" started the priest Welcomed everyone warmly and invited us all to introduce ourselves to one another by name. From that point on I only saw the priest with any real role, two times. He said the Kyrie Elesion and then he spent maybe entire 3 minutes at the altar during the consecration. The rest of the Mass seemed to be run by Women in pants with no veil.
All in all, it was absolutely nothing like the Mass that I am familiar with. Nothing. It felt like I was at one of those "come as you are" non-denominational churches with projector screens.
So now... when the majority of people I meet say they are Catholic, now I know what they mean. That is Catholicism to them.
Sadly, that's the typical experience.  I'm still trying to wrap my mind around how we, as a Church, got to this point where "EMs" are now the ones who distribute the Eucharist, and folks in shorty-shorts and tube tops go to the altar to receive Communion with the reverence of a child receiving candy while trick-or-treating.  Sad. 

I discovered the TLM about 2 years ago, and as you stated, it's like night and day.  I'm in the position where I typically have to attend a NO Mass, although at least it's a solidly conservative one; most receive Communion by mouth or kneeling, the pastor actually gets non-PC and talks about sin and reverence for Our Lord :O, and they even incorporate a bit of Latin.  This is a complete 180 from our previous parish, which I referred to as the "Woodstock Mass" due to the proliferation of guitars and songs reminiscent of, well, hippies.  Oh, well.  Hopefully this weekend the family and I can make the drive to the nearest TLM.

Welcome to the forum, btw.
Yep.

That about sums it up.
It's pretty horrible and jarring isn't it?  We have a lot to be grateful for in the beauty of the TLM.  Those folks at the NO have no idea what they are missing.
It certainly must be jarring. The vast majority of us born after V-II started with the NO and moved on to the TLM once discovering it. I could imagine how jarring going to an NO for the first time must be, especially if you go to a really bad one. A lot of churches at least do the NO where it's at least bearable, others are just intolerable. It probably would give you a similar feeling that all of the people who lived through that time of changes must have felt.
Wow, I am actually really stunned.  I've heard of NO masses being compared to megachurches, screens and lots of layperson involvement but I never experienced it myself.  I attend NO because we don't have a TLM in our area but it's nothing like you folks have described as the norm.  The only female involvement is the rare altar girl.  Whichever problems I had at my parish are absolutely minute compared to the travesties mentioned here!  Thank you for sharing your experiences; it has been eye opening and I am now extremely thankful.
I've seen the "greet those around you" at some parishes, depends on the place.

Most often all of the lectors, cantors, and EMHC are women. There are a few men sprinkled in here and there.

Consecration formula is rarely EP1 (Roman Canon), although I have seen some younger priests use it more often.

If you look at the parts of the typical Sunday NO Mass that the priest leads vs. the laity it's easy to see how the priest can almost seen as a side thought. Part of the beauty of TLM, I think, is that the priest prays everything regardless of if the choir is singing the same thing.
(05-02-2016, 04:24 PM)GangGreen Wrote: I've seen the "greet those around you" at some parishes, depends on the place.

Most often all of the lectors, cantors, and EMHC are women. There are a few men sprinkled in here and there.

Consecration formula is rarely EP1 (Roman Canon), although I have seen some younger priests use it more often.

If you look at the parts of the typical Sunday NO Mass that the priest leads vs. the laity it's easy to see how the priest can almost seen as a side thought. Part of the beauty of TLM, I think, is that the priest prays everything regardless of if the choir is singing the same thing.

There is nothing wrong with being "welcoming."  I think many parishes could stand to be more welcoming.  Being welcoming doesn't have to mean being nosy, irreverent, or heretical.
(05-02-2016, 02:22 PM)hemolymph Wrote: Sigh.
I am a longtime former atheist. I grew up in a super liberal area, in a secular household.
By the Grace of God I wondered into an SSPX chapel one day a year ago and my life was completely turned upside down. I had no idea what I just experienced. I literally felt like I had left earth behind. It was Pentecost Sunday, a High Mass. I just remember feeling speechless... stunned... that this existed and I never knew of it before. My faith grew quickly. I eagerly took catechism classes and was baptized.

I had a similar experience the first time I saw pictures of Catholic churches and saw movies that had Mass scenes.  I was in awe of the statues, the altars, the ornate architecture, the bells and incense, and the elaborate rituals.  It is truly by God's grace that I was so drawn to this, yet became Catholic in a very liberal diocese.

(05-02-2016, 02:22 PM)hemolymph Wrote: So a year into my Catholic journey I decided to see what this Novus Ordo was all about. I went to one in my area and it was packed. The only women with a veil on, I felt a bit silly from all the stares. It was mostly older women in their 50s and 60s. I did not see many young families like at my SSPX chapel which is mostly younger folks.
I did not see hardly anyone genuflect before getting in the pew and no one was kneeling before Mass starts. I saw religious statues but despite that it already felt foreign. When "Mass" started the priest Welcomed everyone warmly and invited us all to introduce ourselves to one another by name. From that point on I only saw the priest with any real role, two times. He said the Kyrie Elesion and then he spent maybe entire 3 minutes at the altar during the consecration. The rest of the Mass seemed to be run by Women in pants with no veil.
All in all, it was absolutely nothing like the Mass that I am familiar with. Nothing. It felt like I was at one of those "come as you are" non-denominational churches with projector screens.
So now... when the majority of people I meet say they are Catholic, now I know what they mean. That is Catholicism to them.

It doesn't have to be that way.  The Novus Ordo may be celebrated with chant, bells, and incense.  The priest may use the Roman Canon as the Eucharistic prayer all the time.  They may chant the Kyrie in Greek, and have as much of the rest of the liturgy in Latin as they want.  They may celebrate the Mass ad orientem, with only traditional altars in the church.  Women may wear veils, and everyone may receive communion on the tongue, kneeling, at a communion rail, holding the cloth up against themselves as in the olden days.  The problem is that they don't have to do those things.  In other words, there are too many options.  So many groups are given accommodation, but not traditional Catholics.
Deo Gratias you found the TLM!!!!!!!!