A Snapshot of the State of Catechesis
It's sad because at the time I was teaching that class, I'd been Catholic for all of 2 years.
(05-06-2016, 10:32 AM)AugustineNYC Wrote: Just the other night I was speaking with a young man from Europe who felt that the Church HAD to change it's stance on things to be current.

When someone says this I ask them what it means to "be current" and what the benefit is of the Church "being current" and should the Church always "be current."  I found it can lead to a conversation that at least makes the person stop and reconsider whether it is good for the Church to simply conform to the world around it and whether this was Christ's will for His Church.
(05-06-2016, 06:18 AM)Zea mays Wrote:
(05-06-2016, 05:49 AM)Zubr Wrote: See, if this is what you believe, don't start an analysis with "I'm Roman Catholic from birth." as if that gives your position more weight.  You can say, "I was Roman Catholic" or "I was raised Roman Catholic but.."  but don't state your belief in the present form.  If you don't believe in basic church teaching, don't use an affirmative statement of belief (I'm Roman Catholic from birth) to showcase your complete lack of comprehension.

plus, no one is born catholic..

people who say they went to catholic school as some sort of "i know the faith trump card" are usually the most ignorant.

Yes, you're right.  I think people have this perception that being Catholic is like an ethnicity; something that comes with birth.  What they don't really get is that it starts with acknowledgement of a specific set of beliefs but also the continual growth and development of faith.  Birth, or short term education, doesn't cover all that there is to being 'Catholic'.  These variables may place a person in a family tied to that religion or act a supplement but it is up to the individual to study and investigate Catholicism. 
My own RCIA classes were abysmal with the exception of a few catechists,and the Masses at that particular parish were abysmal too. It's pretty much a miracle of grace that I stuck it out through to baptism and confirmation. I had to teach myself using KeepTheFaith talks and the old John Hardon archives. It's crazy.

One thing I learned was that Catholicism is pretty much a personal thing these days. It exists in old books, scattered parishes and a scattered remnant of people who believe and live in ways that hardly exist outside books and imagination anymore.

We have to stand alone much of the time, and even go against the popes,bishops and official teachings in some cases.  It's a bit nuts,and the cause of cognitive dissonance to the extreme.
(05-06-2016, 12:09 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: My own RCIA classes were abysmal with the exception of a few catechists,and the Masses at that particular parish were abysmal too. It's pretty much a miracle of grace that I stuck it out through to baptism and confirmation. I had to teach myself using KeepTheFaith talks and the old John Hardon archives. It's crazy.

One thing I learned was that Catholicism is pretty much a personal thing these days. It exists in old books, scattered parishes and a scattered remnant of people who believe and live in ways that hardly exist outside books and imagination anymore.

We have to stand alone much of the time, and even go against the popes,bishops and official teachings in some cases.  It's a bit nuts,and the cause of cognitive dissonance to the extreme.

You are so right FB!  What Pilgrim and I have tried to do is create something that our families lost 50+ years ago.  It is so very hard but worth it!  I also think that's why FishEaters is so important.  We need to support each other or this way of life will be lost.
John 6:61-69 Wrote:61 Many therefore of his disciples, hearing it, said: This saying is hard, and who can hear it?
62 But Jesus, knowing in himself, that his disciples murmured at this, said to them: Doth this scandalize you?
63 If then you shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before?
64 It is the spirit that quickeneth: the flesh profiteth nothing. The words that I have spoken to you, are spirit and life.
65 But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning, who they were that did not believe, and who he was, that would betray him.
66 And he said: Therefore did I say to you, that no man can come to me, unless it be given him by my Father.
67 After this many of his disciples went back; and walked no more with him.
68 Then Jesus said to the twelve: Will you also go away?
69 And Simon Peter answered him: Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.
Its a good thing that we don't have to listen to these kind of heretics. There's no "separated brethren" here, just plain old heresy. Most protestants I can handle as most were never taught otherwise, this however just makes me depressed.

Can we get Saint Nicholas in here to slap some people?
(05-06-2016, 11:02 AM)SaintSebastian Wrote:
(05-06-2016, 10:32 AM)AugustineNYC Wrote: Just the other night I was speaking with a young man from Europe who felt that the Church HAD to change it's stance on things to be current.

When someone says this I ask them what it means to "be current" and what the benefit is of the Church "being current" and should the Church always "be current."  I found it can lead to a conversation that at least makes the person stop and reconsider whether it is good for the Church to simply conform to the world around it and whether this was Christ's will for His Church.

Heck yeah. Ask them if the Church should've "kept current" during the Protestant Reformation and its eradication of Mary and the honoring of the feminine so we have a world full of "scolds' bridles" and the like. Or should've "kept current" during the Victorian era that denied the existence of women's sexuality. Etc. It's silliness, and it'd force your opponent to defend his arguments in terms other than "keeping up to date."

There's more. Yay!

[Image: idiocy2.JPG]
An opinion not so humble.