A Snapshot of the State of Catechesis
(05-06-2016, 11:02 AM)SaintSebastian Wrote:
(05-06-2016, 10:32 AM)AugustineNYC Wrote: Just the other night I was speaking with a young man from Europe who felt that the Church HAD to change it's stance on things to be current.

When someone says this I ask them what it means to "be current" and what the benefit is of the Church "being current" and should the Church always "be current."  I found it can lead to a conversation that at least makes the person stop and reconsider whether it is good for the Church to simply conform to the world around it and whether this was Christ's will for His Church.

Heck yeah. Ask them if the Church should've "kept current" during the Protestant Reformation and its eradication of Mary and the honoring of the feminine so we have a world full of "scolds' bridles" and the like. Or should've "kept current" during the Victorian era that denied the existence of women's sexuality. Etc. It's silliness, and it'd force your opponent to defend his arguments in terms other than "keeping up to date."

Messages In This Thread
Re: A Snapshot of the State of Catechesis - by VoxClamantis - 05-07-2016, 12:07 AM