More than boys; why men are needed to serve the altar
(05-23-2016, 09:20 AM)Fontevrault Wrote:
(05-23-2016, 12:41 AM)Poche Wrote:
(05-21-2016, 03:09 AM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
(05-21-2016, 12:09 AM)Poche Wrote:
(05-19-2016, 12:14 PM)Fontevrault Wrote: When we explained to the boys that altar servers learn the mass and perhaps one day might consider a vocation to the priesthood, my daughter wanted to know what kind of "training program" there is for becoming a nun.  :LOL:
Nursing, child care, assistant to the catechist, sewing, singing in the choir, arrangement of flowers, arts and crafts, 

With the exception of perhaps singing and (in some orders, nursing), none of those things have anything to do with religious life for women! Even the singing is primarily for a religious sister's obligation to pray the Divine Office in common. But in the parish, the primacy of place in choirs should go to men and boys. I'm aware this ideal is so rarely realized that it's almost entirely forgotten, but it is, in fact, the subject of my next upcoming blog post.

Education (particularly of girls) has been an important part of the vocation of women religious for many years. Also the care of orphans. Sewing is a useful skill for a girl who is interested in religious life. Then they can sew and repair the vestments and altar clothes.  With the arrangement of flowers and arts and crafts this has to with helping in the decoration of the church and the altar. The altar clothes and the vestments need to be repaired and cleaned from time to time. If there is a garden around the church that might also be another project for a girl who is thinking about religious life.

Sadly, there isn't a "club" or "group" for her to participate in.  I think that was what she was after.  However, I will say her education includes much of what you suggest here.  Flower arranging is not something I thought to teach her though.  I may need to study it myself.  :)

Another thing she could think about are groups of prayer, the Legion of Mary, the Blue Army, a Marian group that prays the rosary before or after mass.
The role of women religious is different from that of the priest and the different orders or those who serve at mass but very important. How many people of this forum were taught by nuns?

Messages In This Thread
Re: More than boys; why men are needed to serve the altar - by Poche - 05-23-2016, 11:41 PM