Judge Orders Teen to Cancer Treatment
One more freedom bites the dust

A judge ruled Friday that a 16-year-old boy fighting to use alternative treatment for his cancer must report to a hospital by Tuesday and accept treatment that doctors deem necessary, the family's attorney said.
The judge also found Starchild Abraham Cherrix's parents were neglectful for allowing him to pursue alternative treatment of a sugar-free, organic diet and herbal supplements supervised by a clinic in Mexico, lawyer John Stepanovich said.
Jay and Rose Cherrix of Chincoteague on Virginia's Eastern Shore must continue to share custody of their son with the Accomack County Department of Social Services, as the judge had previously ordered, Stepanovich said.
The parents were devastated by the new order and planned to appeal, the lawyer said.
Stepanovich said he will ask a higher court on Monday to stay enforcement of the order, which requires the parents to take Abraham to Children's Hospital of the King's Daughters in Norfolk and to give the oncologist their written legal consent to treat their son for Hodgkin's disease.
"I want to caution all parents of Virginia: Look out, because Social Services may be pounding on your door next when they disagree with the decision you've made about the health care of your child," Stepanovich said.
Phone calls to the Cherrix home went unanswered.
The lawyer declined to release the ruling, saying juvenile court Judge Jesse E. Demps has sealed much of the case.
Social Services officials have declined to comment, citing privacy laws.
After three months of chemotherapy last year made him nauseated and weak, Abraham rejected doctors' recommendations to go through a second round when he learned early this year that his Hodgkin's disease, a cancer of the lymph nodes, was active again.
A social worker then asked a judge to require the teen to continue conventional treatment. In May, the judge issued a temporary order finding Abraham's parents neglectful and awarding partial custody to the county, with Abraham continuing to live at home with his four siblings.
This is unbelievable...there's got to be more to it, like ONE of the parents not being in favor of it (yes, I read "they" are opposed to it) or something. I'd really be interested in learning what's at the bottom of this.
-Robin
For all we know, the doctors who recommended the treatment could have reported them to Social Services.

That group makes me sick.
I also read about this.  It seems strange, yes, but sad and frightening.  Also hypocritical - I bet the judge supports abortion.  This is a slippery slope.  Did any of you hear about the HPV vaccine they want to administer to young pre-pubescent girls?  Can you imagine parents who teach the importance of abstinence to prevent STD's being called negligent?
What's crazy is that according to the story, they did use conventional medicine, and it didn't work!  Don't they have a right to use alternative methods when conventional methods fail?
miss_fluffy Wrote:What's crazy is that according to the story, they did use conventional medicine, and it didn't work! Don't they have a right to use alternative methods when conventional methods fail?

You'd thing so, Fluffy. My guess is that these doctors view alternative forms of treatment as "quack medicine". It seems to me that anything that can be tried, should be. Beside, maybe the alternative medicine wouldn't have as many (or any) side effects as chemotherapy.
What happens if he doesn't report the hospital? Will they put him in jail? This makes no sense...
They'll probably put his parents in jail. Then the state would have custody of the young man, and probably force him into treatment. This is absolutely unbelievable and idiotic.

My mother was diagnosed with lung cancer in 2001. She underwent the standard chemo/radiation treatment. It nearly killed her. She lost her strength, her appetite, her will to fight, her hair, it hurt for her to swallow WATER. I had to give her daily injections in her belly to help increase her red blood cell count just so she could make it through another day's treatment. We drove her to the hospital every single weekday for 3 months for some part of treatment, whether it was to be irradiated or attached to an i.v. for hours. The recovery took even longer. While I nursed her back to health for the next year, my sister researched alternative treatments. Before she was even fully recovered, the cancer returned, as evidenced by her next PET scan. Lung cancer always comes back. The doctor could only offer her more radiation, because she had already maxed out on the chemo. He was frank in telling her the radiation might kill her too, but it was her choice. She was able, unlike the young man in Virginia, to decline. My sister,Sharon, worked tirelessly researching, and came up with a treatment--the best we could muster--based on Hulda Clark's book The Cure for All Cancers. Even though we couldn't follow it to a "T", (it's quite expensive to treat yourself-no help from insurance for alternative medicine) Sharon felt she was able to cull the most important components of the treatment program, and we put all our resources together. It was a 21-day program (with a maintenance program to follow). Within a month of completing the course of alternative treatment, Mom had another PET scan. Her doctor reported to her with some surprise that the activity at the cancer site appeared "quiet". Every petscan she has had since (the last 3 years) has shown no cancer activity at all. Her doctor asked what she had been doing, and requested a copy of her treatment, but has never commented on it (as my sister says "it's frowned upon in the hallowed halls he travels").  She still goes to Ft. Sam (Brooke Army Medical Center) regularly for port-flushes (they refuse to take it out), petscans and wellness checks.

I have a feeling the fact that the young man in the story above has sought some some portion of his treatment in Mexico is causing problems. Our gov't. doesn't want us going "outside" the supposed "best health care" in the world.

-Robin
This is not the first time a court has ordered parents to comply with "doctor-recommended" conventional medicine against their wishes. Nor will it be the last. Doctors are treated as gods, so pretty much anything they say, goes. It is a fallacy to think that we as parents have any control over our children at all. The government has control, not us.

This happened to my parents 3 days ago: My 18 year old sister is trying to get her temporary drivers license. Since she was homeschooled, she has no school ID, or "official" school records, and due to the new "anti-terrorism" laws, the gov practically wants a blood sample before you can apparently even be allowed to drive. In frustration, my mom finally called our state senator's office, explaining the difficulties and wanting to know what they had to bring to the DMV. The first thing they said to her was "do not, under ANY circumstances, tell the DMV that your daughter was homeschooled because if you do, the red flags will go up and you will have social services nosing around." After that warning, they told my mom what to bring, which was an SS card and a passport (which she has). The DMV said they needed more info to prove where she lived. My sister went back and this time brought all the above and additionally a bank statement. They refused AGAIN because there was not enough "activity" on her savings account. Mind you, they only said they needed it for proof of address. My sister then said "but doesn't this prove where I live?", he said "yes, but I don't have to accept it." Then he said to come back with her "school records" - mind you, she is EIGHTEEN, and out of school. She left and came back again, this time bringing reams of correspondence from OLVS. They said "this doesn't tell us what subjects you were taking"!!!?!? They then added "if you have a Quest card (meaning food stamps), we can accept that." So my sister has to go on welfare now just to take a written drivers test?? It is still unresolved. My sister has brought the DMV school records, a social security card, a government-issued passport and a bank statement, and they still won't accept it - all just to take a written driver's test. My mom even had the head of the Wisconsin DOT contact the DMV, to no avail. When my mom called our state senator's office back to detail what had happened, they told her that this isn't the first time homeschooled kids have been put through this rigamarole.
Jen,

That is unbelievable. Worse than Indiana. My 17 y.o. got his first DL last week and the only ID needed was my DL for proof of financial responsiblity. When he took the written test, we provided a SSN and birth certificate.

Robin,

Thanks be to God that your sister did the research and found something to help your mom.

S.A.G. ~ Kathy ~ Sanguine-choleric. Have fun...or else.

Adoramus te, Christe, et benedicimus tibi, quia per sanctam crucem tuam redemisti mundum.