Judge Orders Teen to Cancer Treatment
Just a thought, but the could the insurance companies have some stake in whether this child is treated?  Going along with that, the doctors have a monetary stake as well.  After all, if the child and his parents refuse treatment, then they get no money from anyone.  I've had a few fairly simple procedures done recently that still cost big bucks.  I can imagine the money passing hands for cancer treatments.

sanctamaria, you forgot Big Pharma...
Catheotimus~

What does this mean?

"She still goes to Ft. Sam (Brooke Army Medical Center) regularly for port-flushes (they refuse to take it out)"

Thanks for the Hulda info; what your sister did is awesome and inspiring!
Hi Lady,
When someone receives the kind of chemo treatment my mom did--that is, thru an I.V. drip, they administer it through a "port"--a small device implanted under the skin (a minor surgical procedure) to which they hook up the i.v. This makes administering the drug easier than trying to always find a "good vein". My mom's was placed in her upper chest. Once treatment is finished, they can take the port out, or leave it in as they decided to do in my mom's case, determined that she would eventually need more chemo, or something else. The thing is, you MUST keep them clean. A monthy "port flush" to an inactive port is essential. So Mom faithfully keeps her monthly appt. at BAMC, while all the staff (which in the military change so regularly) just shake their heads in disbelief that she's still here :) Because of her "negative" PET scans for the last 3 years, her doc has finally ordered those down to every 6 months now.  Hope this answers your question.
-Robin
I saw this article as well and it made me furious. These parents are considered neglectful for allowing their child to pursue alternative cancer treatments...but it's totally OK to pump your teenage boy full of female hormones and let him dress in female clothes and wear make up. Or let your 5 year old boy become a girl.  (I'd link the "Speaking of poofters..." thread but I'm not quite sure how yet.) It's completely unbelievable.  [Image: mad.gif]

Andrea
Update

Teen cancer patient seeks to stop judge's treatment order

By SONJA BARISIC
Associated Press Writer

[-]
  •
[quote]
Hi Lady,
When someone receives the kind of chemo treatment my mom did--that is, thru an I.V. drip, they administer it through a "port"--a small device implanted under the skin (a minor surgical procedure) to which they hook up the i.v. This makes administering the drug easier than trying to always find a "good vein". My mom's was placed in her upper chest. Once treatment is finished, they can take the port out, or leave it in as they decided to do in my mom's case, determined that she would eventually need more chemo, or something else. The thing is, you MUST keep them clean. A monthy "port flush" to an inactive port is essential. So Mom faithfully keeps her monthly appt. at BAMC, while all the staff (which in the military change so regularly) just shake their heads in disbelief that she's still here [Image: smile.gif] Because of her "negative" PET scans for the last 3 years, her doc has finally ordered those down to every 6 months now.  Hope this answers your question.

Yes Robin, you answered it very well. It's great to hear about your mom and the staff. Deo Gratias! (and for Hulda's protocols as well)
-Lady