The Russian Orthodox Church on Globalization
(06-03-2016, 12:32 PM)J Michael Wrote:
(06-01-2016, 11:29 PM)Poche Wrote: If the Russian Orthodox Church is so big on globalization then why do they object so strenuously to the Ukrainian Catholic Church?

Because they're Catholic and not Orthodox.  And because they're Ukrainian, not Russian.  :grin:

In my more cynical moments I'm pretty sure that the Russian Orthodox Church wants nothing more than to be the universal (okay, global) head of ALL churches.  You know...kinda like Rome... :eyeroll:

In reality the Russian government wants world domination and the Russian Orthodox Church is ready to do what is necessary in order for the Russian state to achieve their political goals.
(06-03-2016, 11:29 PM)Poche Wrote:
(06-03-2016, 12:32 PM)J Michael Wrote:
(06-01-2016, 11:29 PM)Poche Wrote: If the Russian Orthodox Church is so big on globalization then why do they object so strenuously to the Ukrainian Catholic Church?

Because they're Catholic and not Orthodox.  And because they're Ukrainian, not Russian.  :grin:

In my more cynical moments I'm pretty sure that the Russian Orthodox Church wants nothing more than to be the universal (okay, global) head of ALL churches.  You know...kinda like Rome... :eyeroll:

In reality the Russian government wants world domination and the Russian Orthodox Church is ready to do what is necessary in order for the Russian state to achieve their political goals.

I think Putin just wants to reverse the series of national humiliations between the the Crimean War of the nineteenth century and the looting of the Yeltsin years. He seems to be the only major head of state currently flirting with the Two Swords theory of Church-State relations. I think it's good.
"The Russian Church condemns Westernization and dissemination of the Western cult of consumption, noting that 'the Western way of development' is a road to nowhere, to hell, and the abyss"

Man...this sounds so Vatican I compared to what's been coming out of Rome these days.
(06-05-2016, 12:34 AM)Share Love Wrote: "The Russian Church condemns Westernization and dissemination of the Western cult of consumption, noting that 'the Western way of development' is a road to nowhere, to hell, and the abyss"

Man...this sounds so Vatican I compared to what's been coming out of Rome these days.

Maybe you should take a look at Evangelii Gaudium. Everybody howled when the Pope condemned selfishness.