Who Needs Men in Church?
(06-07-2016, 01:04 AM)introvert Wrote:
(06-06-2016, 09:06 PM)PrairieMom Wrote: [size=10pt]I've posted similar articles on the subject before, but I find it so sad yet interesting. At the same time, there was something I posted some weeks back that talked about how even prior to Vatican II the men would just hang around the back of the church, and praying was left to the women. So obviously it's more than just the change in liturgy, there has been a cultural shift that has occurred on top of that.

I'm interested to know how long ago this was happening, and in what cultures or contexts. It appears this is more than a cultural shift, and it took a several or a dozen generations before we finally saw its fruits.

I can't remember precisely now. I would have to go digging and see if I can find the original article on that topic. I think it was an aside in someone else I posted, maybe on the Eucharist. I will look later when I have more time. But they were specifically referring to Italy I think, in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, where the men would hang around the back of the church.

(06-07-2016, 05:38 AM)formerbuddhist Wrote: But as the article said there is not this problem amongst Muslims,Orthodox Jews and Orthodox Christians. This cannot be entirely a cultural shift.  What is it about the aforementioned religious groups that do not lend themselves to the feminization we've seen within Protestant and Catholic circles?

I sincerely ask this, as I'm curious.

I know that compared to Catholicism and Protestantism,Orthodoxy,Orthodox Judaism and Islam are more deeply rooted in their Traditions for the most part, and they are far more radical in asking for a lifestyle change and a break with the world. Is this it though?

I had a friend back home who grew up mostly culturally Jewish. When she got married, her husband converted from (culturally)Catholic to Jewish. At some point, he decided they were going to be Orthodox Jews.

It was all-consuming. They had to move so they could get to temple without driving, and their entire week revolved around getting ready for the Shabbat. Even their sex life change - she was required to have a mitzvah (I think that's what it's called?) every month after her bleed, and they couldn't come together until that happened.

It didn't stick - he's since returned to being Catholic and she's gone back to being culturally Jewish last I knew - but those couple of years were intense. It permeates every aspect of your being. But in their case it didn't stick - although they were coming at it from her being a cultural Jew and respecting her husband's authority, and him trying to grapple with his conversion and finding something that worked intellectually and spiritually.

Messages In This Thread
Who Needs Men in Church? - by PrairieMom - 06-06-2016, 09:06 PM
Re: Who Needs Men in Church? - by divinesilence80 - 06-06-2016, 11:00 PM
Re: Who Needs Men in Church? - by introvert - 06-07-2016, 01:04 AM
Re: Who Needs Men in Church? - by formerbuddhist - 06-07-2016, 05:38 AM
Re: Who Needs Men in Church? - by Pilgrim - 06-07-2016, 10:09 AM
Re: Who Needs Men in Church? - by PrairieMom - 06-07-2016, 10:10 AM
Re: Who Needs Men in Church? - by PrairieMom - 06-07-2016, 10:23 AM
Re: Who Needs Men in Church? - by Zubr - 06-07-2016, 10:59 AM
Re: Who Needs Men in Church? - by Pilgrim - 06-07-2016, 09:07 PM
Re: Who Needs Men in Church? - by introvert - 06-08-2016, 12:46 AM
Re: Who Needs Men in Church? - by Pilgrim - 06-08-2016, 10:38 AM