Enough Apologizing for Mary?
When we speak of apologetics we are not apologizing in the sense that we have done something wrong and we are seeking forgiveness. Apologetics is really an explanation of what we believe as Catholics to an unbelieving world.
With respect to this when we talk about the Blessed Virgin Mary I think it is best to look at her with reference to how she is presented in the Bible. 
(06-26-2016, 01:53 AM)Byzantine Wrote: And even then, it's common to hear "you don't have to pray to Mary at all," as if her role in our salvation is somehow "optional" (in that you can be Cathodox and participate in the Church while completely ignoring the Virgin).

I hate that with a passion. Whenever I read a Catholic or Orthodox say something like that I shoot it down very quickly. Yes you do have to pray to her. You also have to pray to other saints and venerate images (statue or icon) and relics. You have to do this because all of these things make a statement about what we believe. If you won't pray to Mary then you don't believe what the Churches teach.
(06-26-2016, 03:24 PM)J Michael Wrote:
(06-26-2016, 07:56 AM)Fontevrault Wrote: I agree that we Catholics downplay Mary because she makes Protestants uncomfortable.  Sadly, I think it has gone farther in that many churches near me lack any substantive Marian devotion.  It's all pretty much optional...  It really is a weakness in our practice of the faith.

My experience of the Roman (Latin) Catholic Church is that it downplays much of traditional and historic Catholicism in order to not make Protestants uncomfortable, not just the Theotokos.  Sheesh!  Even the local RC parish here, which is run and staffed by Marianists  (as in Societyis almost completely devoid of what you refer to as substantive Marian devotion.  Well...there *is* a small-ish statue of Mary tucked away in a small alcove in the huge barn-like structure.  Guess they figure that's good enough. :eyeroll:

It is all so very sad because we lose our culture, our faith, and the tremendous strength the Blessed Mother can give us in our battles against temptation, our struggle to draw closer to Our Lord, and the simple practice of obedience (which isnt'tever easy - at least for me).  All in an effort take make outsiders more comfortable!  What about the depth of th faith?  When we look like every other denomination out there, there really is very little motivation to be Catholic.  It's so much easier to attend a more comfortable, less rigorous Christian Church.  Then again, the local evangelical thing has a concert on Sunday morning, free Starbucks, free babysitting, and sounds pretty fun . . .  No wonder people leave the faith.
I guess I s
Ptochos,

I have no problem with meeting Protestants where they are and working to build a stronger understanding of our faith.  What I have a problem with is that a lot of churches lack any Marian devotion whatsoever and little understanding of those things that are so special and unique in the church.  These aren't oddities to be swept under the rug and hidden away; they are important parts of the faith and should be celebrated.  I wish I saw more of that.

F
I am in
Ah, "ethnic parishes"!  I wish we had them in the middle of white bread America . . .
(06-27-2016, 01:09 PM)Fontevrault Wrote: Ah, "ethnic parishes"!  I wish we had them in the middle of white bread America . . .

You do.  They're ethnic white bread American parishes. :grin:
(06-27-2016, 04:33 PM)J Michael Wrote:
(06-27-2016, 01:09 PM)Fontevrault Wrote: Ah, "ethnic parishes"!  I wish we had them in the middle of white bread America . . .

Would those be Wonder Bread parishes?
(06-27-2016, 07:09 PM)Share Love Wrote:
(06-27-2016, 04:33 PM)J Michael Wrote:

Would those be Wonder Bread parishes?

Wonder Bread parishes are as unfulfilling as they sound.  :(