Enough Apologizing for Mary?
I suppose it depends with whom you talk to. The crowd I'm familiar with they're unabashedly devoted to Mary. Some of them are very timid about pointing out Prot error, but when it comes to Mary they'll usually defend her.

I don't get why some think the Roman Rite does not include Marian devotion in a natural way. What about all those innumerable feast days dedicated to her, and all the mentions to the Mother of God, in the Confiteor, in the Canon, and the Marian antiphons usually sung on High Masses or the Aves and Salve Regina and petitions at the end of Low Mass?

Anyway, I just don't think someone can walk away from a well put Solemn Mass without getting the full, real Catholic thing. That's why whenever I talk with Prots I just invite them to Mass. Better than wasting time discussing.

And that's why I prefer the TLM to the NO!  Well stated RF!
(06-27-2016, 01:09 PM)Fontevrault Wrote: Ah, "ethnic parishes"!  I wish we had them in the middle of white bread America . . .

The Roman Catholic Church doesn't have ethnic parishes. Never has, never will. Everybody knows that.  :w2go:
(06-28-2016, 10:27 PM)Silouan Wrote:
(06-27-2016, 01:09 PM)Fontevrault Wrote: Ah, "ethnic parishes"!  I wish we had them in the middle of white bread America . . .

The Roman Catholic Church doesn't have ethnic parishes. Never has, never will. Everybody knows that.  :w2go:

Sure we do!  Back when smaller churches served ethnic neighborhoods in the US, the folk customs and traditions of the homeland helped to shape parish life.  Certain regions of Europe (as but one example) celebrate different feast days, honor those saints with customs and practices that vary widely.  Those folk customs are an important means of transmitting the faith because they impregnate everyday life with a sense of the sacred.  Even in very secular France (where I grew up), there are so many little touches that secular people mark various saints' days because to change the name or nature of such a holiday is unthinkable.  Much is lost when these traditions cease to be passed down from one generation to the next. 
Silouan, did I just miss sarcasm?  :blush:
(06-29-2016, 08:40 AM)Fontevrault Wrote: Silouan, did I just miss sarcasm?  :blush:

Yes you did.  :awww:
(06-29-2016, 02:39 PM)Silouan Wrote:
(06-29-2016, 08:40 AM)Fontevrault Wrote: Silouan, did I just miss sarcasm?  :blush:

:LOL:  Man, I shouldn't post when tired!  Sorry!  I had a late night last night what with my eldest getting married.  My whole body hurts because I am worn through.  Not the right time to get up and post . . .
(06-29-2016, 03:15 PM)Fontevrault Wrote:
(06-29-2016, 02:39 PM)Silouan Wrote:

:LOL:  Man, I shouldn't post when tired!  Sorry!  I had a late night last night what with my eldest getting married.  My whole body hurts because I am worn through.  Not the right time to get up and post . . .

Congratulations on the wedding!
Thank you!  It was a good day - just a long one.  My foster daughter is 22 and amazing.  All four of my younger kids (ages 7, 7, 6 and 3) were in the wedding, so I started the day early just preparing everyone and then ran to do the bride's hair, came home to dress all the kids, do hair (mine and my other daughter's), jumped in the car to get to the site, did pictures, helped coordinate stuff, and then the ceremony and party.  I don't remember being this tired after my own wedding . . .  :grin:  Then again, I didn't have 4 littles to take care of that day!
(06-27-2016, 02:05 AM)Silouan Wrote:
(06-26-2016, 01:53 AM)Byzantine Wrote: And even then, it's common to hear "you don't have to pray to Mary at all," as if her role in our salvation is somehow "optional" (in that you can be Cathodox and participate in the Church while completely ignoring the Virgin).

I hate that with a passion. Whenever I read a Catholic or Orthodox say something like that I shoot it down very quickly. Yes you do have to pray to her. You also have to pray to other saints and venerate images (statue or icon) and relics. You have to do this because all of these things make a statement about what we believe. If you won't pray to Mary then you don't believe what the Churches teach.

Wisdom!

I think we err in not always presenting, from the outset, Marian devotion and the reverencing of saints and images as intimately connected with the truth of the Incarnation. That is the true foundation of these practices, anyway, and I think that might speak to Protestants who confess the Incarnation.