Cardinal Sarah announces Pope Francis asks for "reform of the reform"
(07-07-2016, 01:30 AM)Sacred Heart lover Wrote: I'm curious why Pope Francis, given his liberal proclivities, would request a "reform of the reform"?

Everything isn't as it appears to you. Pope Francis isn't as liberal as he seems.
(07-08-2016, 12:21 AM)Poche Wrote:
(07-07-2016, 01:30 AM)Sacred Heart lover Wrote: I'm curious why Pope Francis, given his liberal proclivities, would request a "reform of the reform"?

Everything isn't as it appears to you. Pope Francis isn't as liberal as he seems.

No, he's even more of a liberal than he seems.

He's perhaps the best example of a true Liberal, who can both embrace and propose "never to condemn" the SSPX, while at the same time telling people living in concubinage that they have a "true marriage".

He does not care much for doctrine. He cares for "sincerity" and "mercy". And "mercy" for him means both the kindness of Charity, and uncharitible approbation of sin.

That's the only logical explanation for his seemingly contradictory statements and positions. Well, that or schizophrenia (but any true liberal is always, at least in principle, a schizophrenic, since he must hold contradictory principles in his mind at the same time).

We're just not used to Liberals being true to their laissez-faire principles. We're used to liberals who want to destroy the old order by force—by violent revolution. A liberal true to his principles would rather destroy the old order by gently allowing it to die of tolerance—to catch flies with honey.
From the time the news broke, I have been highly suspicious. Until Pope Bergoglio issues something authoritative, this is largely just another Churchman selling his view and with very little sticking power.
This seems all so very similar to the entire 'discussion' from a few years ago about the legitimacy of female Altar Boys.