Criticims of Hierarchy
I might respond more to Jacafamala - except I get tongue-tied as I start thinking of how much our Holy Father's apparent free-wheeling style might be more deliberate than it ...

Argh. Tongue-tied.

(07-27-2016, 11:26 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: But I think public criticism of public acts are fine assuming it's offered with charity, for a good purpose (serving to educate people about how every papal utterance isn't holy writ or wise, for ex.), and fairly (without impugning motives, using hyperbole, judging souls, etc.). When it comes to Pope Francis, I think sincere, orthodox Catholics owe it to the world -- and to Christ! -- to set things straight with regard to what is and isn't Catholic teaching, the different levels of the Magisterium, etc. 

I struggle with this a great deal and have not found the way forward yet.

Whilst I agree with Vox completely in terms of _political_ public acts, I struggle more when it comes to the Church.

In the Church, we have a very long tradition of obedience to one's superiors without public dissent. Moreover, this is modelled for us across centuries by the greatest of saints.

For example - and I would love to be corrected if I am wrong! - St Pio remained silent through the the reign of Bl. Paul VI whilst witnessing things that must have pierced his heart ...

So, I just find it tough. For years during the St. JPII./BXVI era, I found all those liberals who spoke about their "faithful dissent" hard to stomach. I don't want to turn out like them, now the tables are turned.

I wonder if Charles is reticent to say much more for reasons similar to the above?

On the other hand, you Vox are completely right that one must fight for the truth.

I am still struggling ...

Was my insinuation above about "more deliberate ..." too far?